Plane forced to turn around after woman fakes illness to get a bigger seat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/03/plane-forced-to-turn-around-af.html

7 Likes

For a 30 min flight?

17 Likes

Christ, what an asshole!

19 Likes

Please add in the title that is was a Florida woman. I’ll be less hesitant to click and read it.

9 Likes

“Protective Custody”? That’s not the same as regular arrest. Does that mean they are worried for her safety, for some reason?

4 Likes

“Protective Custody”? That’s not the same as regular arrest. Does that mean they are worried for her safety, for some reason?

Well, there was an entire planeload of people who wanted her dead…

28 Likes

People [Florida people], you can’t live with them, and you can’t strangle them either.

7 Likes

Maybe not, but they seem to do each other in, semi-regularly. All we have to do is wait.

4 Likes

Unless this story is delayed, “Friday” would have been the day after Thanksgiving; during a period of somewhat inclement weather that wasn’t doing airline schedules(at least those tangled up with the northeastern US directly or indirectly) any good.

She ruined the immediate post Thanksgiving ride home for an indeterminate but not small number of strangers in the attempt to score a few inches of seat.

People have probably entered witness protection over less serious transgressions against social code.

14 Likes

Is it happening now? Been waiting like a whole 5 minutes…

6 Likes

I’d wager a guess, that yes, somewhere in Florida, right now…

5 Likes

I felt that too, like a tear in the universe, freaky.

7 Likes

The flight was scheduled to go to Miami (~2 hrs) but returned to Pensacola right after take-off.

As bad as post-Thanksgiving travel is, they should have just dropped her in the Gulf and kept going

10 Likes

From the linked article:
“The woman was taken into protective custody under the state’s Baker Act, which allows authorities to detain individuals believed to pose a threat to themselves or others.”

Apparently they thought she would hurt someone

8 Likes

I have a hard time believing that Pensacola to Miami takes longer than from Cincinnati to Orlando.

Although crazy enough; I just checked the air mileage and it’s 760 miles from Cincinnati (OHIO!) to Orlando and 530 from Pensacola to Miami. Florida Geography is weird.

So, uhm, yeah.

(ETA: Technically, the Cincinnati, Ohio Airport is in Kentucky.)
(ETAA: I should have made myself clearer: After checking the straight line distance, I can believe that both flights can be done in about 2 hours; different planes, different prevailing winds; it seems wrong but it isn’t. :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

floridabb

11 Likes

But remember, they breed. They breed.

7 Likes

You’re not the boss of me!

11 Likes

I think this kind of inconvenience-inducing nonsense ought to come with a civil penalty equal to the median wage of the US or, if proven higher, the median wage of the passengers on the plane.

4 Likes

One rather expects that she will be unable to book a flight on that airline ever again. (NO TICKET FOR YOU!) One rather hopes that she will be unable to book a flight on ANY airline ever again.

3 Likes