Southwest wouldn't let mixed-race family fly until mom "proved" parenthood

My (white) wife had a problem going through passport control in Paris to get on the Eurostar with our (white) son because of the same sort of nonsense.

I’m not saying this wasn’t racism, but never discount the ability of bureaucrats to come up with this sort of stupidity without being racist.

2 Likes

Aw, @Mister44, @enkidoodler, stahpit, y’all are making me blush. :blush:

If it’s true chicks dig scars I got that going for me anyway :rofl:

2 Likes

Yup, and training videos won’t change that either.

How about a half day class where a POC talks to you and a couple hundred other people? Maybe some piece of theater that was written by a notable POC and funded by the corporate overlords that the entire company then got to sit through?

/s

I’ve experienced all of this and more. Didn’t change a thing, everyone I talked afterwards remained the same. Racists were still just as racist.

1 Like

I’ve read you enough around here to safely assume good intent.

If you’ve rarely, if ever, come across this type of discrimination1 then I can agree that it is difficult to gauge. When you experience it often enough, it becomes easier to recognize.
Nobody looks twice at me and my son in Mexico, but when we visit your country they do.

1 Intended reading for discrimination:
Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

1 Like

Worth noting that, had this been an international flight (it wasn’t), there could be legitimate need to verify that both adults were the child’s parents. I learned this the hard way taking a daughter across the border to Canada.
https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/travel-tourism/travelers-faqs/children-traveling-with-one-parent-or-with-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or-legal-guardian/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.