Sovereign Citizen tries to outsmart cop, gets tased in the nuggets

The Sovereign Citizen thing is like if someone convinced you you could lose weight by only eating chocolate cake, and because it’s exactly what you wanted to hear you continue to believe it even when you lose a foot to diabetes.

It’s also like kids in the schoolyard who scream “if you’re not gonna play by my rules I’m going to take my ball and go home” except it’s not their ball, it’s the school’s ball.

10 Likes

I’m not sure whether I want him to be 5150’d or turned over to DHS.

1 Like

sovereign citizen: I’m an asshole!

cop: I’m a bigger asshole!

22 Likes

From what I have read, most of them get into trouble with mainstream law first and then they latch onto any explanation of how they are not completely fucked after all and none of it is their fault.

6 Likes

The law is filled with magical incantations

1. Now comes the above-named John Smith, plaintiff herein, by and through Darrow & Holmes, his attorneys of record, and shows unto this honorable Court as follows: 1

An effective attorney will make sure that those magical incantations reference actual facts, and actual laws.

7 Likes

I find sovereign rhetoric so obnoxious. However in Hawaii it’s confusing AF. You have indigenous people with legitimate complaints using many of the same tactics and you have garden variety white people pulling the same shenanigans. The conservative political party going so far right has really brought these people out of the woodwork in recent years.

6 Likes

The Oath Keepers are another strain of these wackados. Racist tools.

2 Likes

I think the right question after tasing him would be “Are you a citizen yet? What’s your first and last name now?”

I hate to side with the cops on anything, but SovCits as a group are almost literally begging for abuse.

3 Likes

“I don’t know what the hell law book you’re reading, man, but it doesn’t apply to me” is really the whole Sovereign Citizen movement in a nutshell.

12 Likes

Sovereign fucking moron, if you ask me.

2 Likes

[quote=“angusm, post:32, topic:222890”]
I don’t know what the hell law book you’re reading, man, but it doesn’t apply to me”
[/quote] is really the only excuse I need to hit you in the face with a chair.

2 Likes

Sovereign Citizen
My person does, but I don’t. And I don’t wish to create joinder with you. I’m gonna go in and speak with the prosecutor. [The sovereign citizen tries to walk down a hallway but badged officials block his way.] Excuse me, excuse me. You’re blocking my freedom of movement.

Cop
I am.

Sovereign Citizen
All right. [Looks at cop’s badge] Well, “Pete Barnes,” you just admitted to me that you’re violating my rights.

Cop
(instead of saying this) No, I’m not. You can’t come in with the camera.

(the cop could have climbed down to this guy’s level of stupid and said) And you’re violating MY rights. This section of hallway is my sovereign territory. By special, double-secret maritime judicial law, no cell phones may enter this hallway jurisdiction. And since I am the sovereign of this super-duper, linoleum-tiled, non-oceanic, maritime jurisdiction, I am within my rights to taze your skinny, over-privileged ass.

BZZZZZZZZZT

4 Likes

They tased him right in the Ted Nugents.

7 Likes

That is pretty much Netolitsky’s theme: https://www.canlii.org/en/commentary/doc/2018CanLIIDocs90#!fragment/zoupio-_Tocpdf_bk_1/BQCwhgziBcwMYgK4DsDWszIQewE4BUBTADwBdoAvbRABwEtsBaAfX2zhoBMAzZgI1TMAjAEoANMmylCEAIqJCuAJ7QA5KrERCYXAnmKV6zdt0gAynlIAhFQCUAogBl7ANQCCAOQDC9saTB80KTsIiJAA

All of Netolitsky’s analyses of the SovCit movement are worth reading.

9 Likes

He can’t imagine other people might not want their privacy violated by his filming of their court cases.

5 Likes

He’s shocked that he got shocked, but I’m not shocked.

6 Likes

The “oath” that they speak of is from military service, where one takes an oath to defend the country from enemies both foreign and domestic; at least that’s how I read it when I first encountered them a number of years ago. On it’s surface and ignoring everything else, it sounded noble. But since the truth came out about them, the only oath they are actually keeping is that of being racists right wing assholes.

7 Likes

Bullshitting about maritime law would just make the Sovereign Citizen even angrier. The only law that Sovereign Citizens recognise is their own imaginary version of common law, handed down from time immemorial.

2 Likes

This is a massively old video and such, and I agree with the people who say the cop was over the line.

But at the same time, these guys end up almost always being violent assholes in the end when someone finally tells them no, and if you’ve not experienced one of them putting billion dollar liens on your house, property, three or four hundred times… you’ve not really understood the level of harrassment and cost dealing with these assholes can be.

A business I worked at had to shut down because they had a sovcit repeatedly place liens against every owner’s houses , properties, and cars, and they finally got bled of money fighting it.

10 Likes

The thing that I just can’t wrap my head around is that these guys think that spouting their legal mumbo-jumbo is going to work on COPS. Even if you regard legal pleadings as magic incantations capable of getting you what you want, it is a fundamental misunderstanding of the legal system to think that this would work on COPS rather than judges. When faced with legal arguments, the average popo’s motto is “You may beat the charge, but you can’t beat the ride.”

4 Likes