Soviet New Wave, 1987: "Grey Pigeon" by Pyotr Mamonov and Zvuki Mu

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/03/zvuki-mu.html

2 Likes

8 Likes

Roger That!

6 Likes

I would pay all the monies to the person who could teach me how to dance like that guy,

4 Likes

Some things, I guess, were not meant to happen.

1 Like

i just… but… i… umm… well, ok then. let’s see…

props to the girl sleeping on her friend’s shoulder in the beginning. i am guessing they were supposed to “quirky” like the Talking Heads were considered to be early on? i love the shots of the mesmerized/stone faced people in the audience. only one dude was laughing, like he got that this was supposed to be funny.

3 Likes

I thought this was really cool. People living under an oppressive regime and the threat of a devastating world war, expressing the absurdity of their lives with whatever they could get their hands on.

It’s damn fine art and certainly completely free of refinement in the best possible way.

I am guessing it was considered reasonably subversive at the time, and the audience would have had varying levels of exposure to it, hence the varied reactions.

@MaiqTheLiar according to the article he performed at a “Moscow champioship level” of drunkenness - I think that might be the key…

5 Likes

Pyotr Mamonov is the source of my (current) avatar here (although it’s actually another actor portraying a younger version of Mamonov’s character in the film.) Not that I’m a huge fan of his, but I do like the film, and the imaged reflected how I was feeling when I began using it.

1 Like

Also… damn you Routledge:

$112.12! For a hardback book! But clearly I need this…

5 Likes

The internet giveth, and the internet . . . maketh out of reach financially.

4 Likes

Honestly, It’s not an internet thing, it’s an academic book thing. Routledge hardbacks are always expensive, because they are a press that is expressly for the academic market. University presses tend to be cheaper, I’ve noticed, even the smaller, less prestigious ones. But Routledge, always pricey… Too bad, because although they have a good cultural history line (and put out a recent call for manuscripts, which would be right up my alley), it makes me not want to go with them. Because no one is going to buy my book if it’s $100 and they don’t know who I am as a writer.

3 Likes

OK, point taken, but I have also noticed Amazon Marketplace tends to have book dealers who will price some books insanely high because they see they are the only seller with that title, then other dealers will follow suit : “hmmm. . . this must be valuable if this other dealer is asking $500 for it!” Same thing happens on discogs all the time.

1 Like

Indeed! That’s a whole different kettle of fish, though. Even if I bought books directly from Routledge, they’d be those prices. I’d guess that they reasoning is that there is a smaller market for academic books, which, true enough, perhaps. But honestly, historical monographs can certainly be written for a wider audience instead of just a niche one… I dunno… Oxford Press or the MIT Press aren’t nearly as expensive.

Sounds like good old fashion price inflation to me! It sucks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.