Spaaaaace (Part 1)

My first attempt at rolling my own JWST images. This is NGC 7496, a spiral galaxy in the constellation Grus.

8 Likes

Neat!

4 Likes

NGC 3132, the Southern Ring Nebula in the constellation Vela:

Edit to tone down the colors a little

8 Likes
2 Likes

Calamity capsule: Boeing’s Starliner losses approaching $1B

3 Likes

Origins of mysterious marsquake settled: it was a meteoroid what done it

4 Likes

ice-hole

What did you just call me?

6 Likes

red-dwarf

3 Likes

Farging ice-hole!

(It’s been 20 years since his last role, but Richard Dimitri is still alive!)

3 Likes

NGC 2070, the Tarantula Nebula in Dorado:

6 Likes

What is your process here?

4 Likes

I mostly follow the instructions in this video:

The imagery portal is at:

The portal is kind of a challenge to use, but basically I filter images on mission (JWST) and instrument (NIRCAM, the near-infrared camera). Then I just pick objects from the list.

In a nutshell, the processing goes something like this: Every JWST NIRCAM image is actually a set of monochrome photos taken through different-wavelength filters – in this image, 6 filters, from 0.9 microns through 4.7 microns wavelength. The images are in a ridiculously old data format (FITS), but there’s a simple program (FITS Liberator) that can convert FITS to TIFFs. Once that’s done, I just layer and align them in Photoshop, convert to RGB, and colorize each layer according to its filter. Small wavelengths get mapped to the blue end and long wavelengths to the red end of the visual spectrum (although of course the filter wavelengths are all in the near-infrared range). Then there’s a lot of tweaking for aesthetics and black levels. Does that make sense?

7 Likes

Understood perfectly, thanks!

4 Likes

NASA details totally doable, not science fiction plan for sending Mars rocks to Earth

2 Likes
3 Likes

Working on NGC 3324. This is a MIRI composite. Mid-infrared, so colors we humans won’t see unless we’re tripping balls.

5 Likes

Lets Do This GIF by CBS

5 Likes
7 Likes

I saw this station racing across the sky last week.

6 Likes
2 Likes