Spaaaaace (Part 1)

It still boggles my mind how many people bought into privatizing space as “opening it up to everyone” instead of “making sure most of us will never see any benefits from it”.

11 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

Wanderers is a vision of humanity’s expansion into the Solar System, based on scientific ideas and concepts of what our future in space might look like, if it ever happens. The locations depicted in the film are digital recreations of actual places in the Solar System, built from real photos and map data where available. Without any apparent story, other than what you may fill in by yourself, the idea of the film is primarily to show a glimpse of the fantastic and beautiful nature that surrounds us on our neighboring worlds - and above all, how it might appear to us if we were there. As some may notice I have borrowed ideas and concepts from science fiction authors such as Kim Stanley Robinson and Arthur C. Clarke, just to name a few. And visually, I of course owe many tips of my hat to painter Chesley Bonestell - the legendary master of space art. More directly, with kind permission from Ann Druyan I have also borrowed the voice of astronomer and author Carl Sagan to narrate the film. The audio I used are excerpts from his own reading of his book ‘Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space’ (1994, Random House, http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/boo…) - needless to say, a huge inspiration for this film.

4 Likes

Cool.

I was listening to the voice, knowing I’d heard this voice before. When the credits showed it was Carl Sagan, I had to laugh. Of course it was. I assumed a new film would have a new narrator, but this is excellent too. Bravo!

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Well, this sucks. They have a presence in our town. We often walk into their parking area to watch planes depart and land.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Something, something, Quatermass…

6 Likes

November 2024.

“Though the Artemis II flight won’t include a lunar landing, those on board will take a looping orbit that carries them more than 10,000 miles beyond the Moon—meaning that the crew will be the people who have traveled the farthest distance from Earth in history“

6 Likes
12 Likes

Just another 300 million before we get to Mars!

7 Likes

8 Likes
4 Likes

Apollo 8 was the iconic earthrise pic though

5 Likes

https://murray-lab.caltech.edu/CTX/V01/SceneView/MurrayLabCTXmosaic.html

3 Likes
3 Likes

10 Likes
5 Likes

from

11 Likes