Spaaaaace (Part 1)

Yeah, the debris almost hit Captain Invincible…

That comet-over-Stonehenge pic in the Twitter is to die for.

4 Likes

Cocktails too!

I went looking for Skylab with a black Labrador named Ben.
In an apple orchard in Kent.

I was only 5 :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

00__Sophiscated Cat__RAW_phixr_phixr

15 Likes

That sounds like a lovely memory to hold on to.
(Labradors are not very good at tracking space stations, though, what were your parent thinking?)

4 Likes

The world’s nonsense keeping you awake in middle of the night? Good news. Go outside and see this two-tail comet

A two-pronged comet with billowing tails of gas and dust will streak across the sky this month.

If you’re in the northern hemisphere, and gazing up at the right moment – around 4am local time, July 10 to 15, looking northeast; and potentially an hour after sunset, July 14 to 23, looking northwest – you should catch a glimpse of the comet, C/2020 F3 NEOWISE. And local time really does mean the time wherever you are.

3 Likes

So do I.

But, buy a good pair of binoculars first!

The other day I could see the globular cluster called Omega Centauri, the space Telescope Hubble and the ISS.

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000803.html

5 Likes

A labrador that tracks space stations would be a Sky-Lab

10 Likes

tumblr_inline_mx3anyEwkx1qbzh5z

3 Likes
3 Likes

Comet Neowise over Chicago. Samsung Galaxy (hah!) S8, looking through 10x50 binoculars. 2-second exposure so kinda blurry.

12 Likes

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has announced that its attempt to bring a chunk of asteroid back to Earth will touch down in December.

JAXA has roped in the Australian Space Agency, because the Hayabusa2 mission’s asteroid sample capsule will land in the state of South Australia on December 6th.

3 Likes

Double helping of delays for SpaceX as Starlink, ANASIS-II missions cling to terra firma

1 Like
2 Likes

well at least this means 2020 will end with an alien invasion of nanobots that might start small but can only be stopped by gigantic mecha fighting it out in the wilds of australia.

something to look forward to i guess

4 Likes
3 Likes

For naked eye viewing, if you don’t know exactly where to look it’s easy to miss. It has faded quite a bit already in just the past three days.

2 Likes

I am still looking for more detailed information, but I think it will not be very visible in the southern hemisphere.

In 1986 I tried to see Halley. I couldn’t, but my brother said he got to see an evening on the beach.

We see the pictures, all very beautiful, but the truth is that these comets are very elusive!

1 Like

It won’t be visible to the naked eye in the southern hemisphere at all by my math. It is very low in the sky to the north. I’m in Chicago and it is a challenge to see it from here.

4 Likes

It is sad. At least I can see the pictures and videos! Thanks! Obrigado!

1 Like

A meteorite crosses the skies of the hinterland of northeastern Brazil and leaves residents astonished.

4 Likes