Spaaaaace (Part 1)

Close enough, sure. But that’s only 10 years away. It will take seven years just to reach Saturn and another 10 years to get it funded, designed and built.

So long, mysterious space rock. How I wish I had known thee.

2 Likes

That would be just enough time to build a probe using an existing design and launch it, but yeah, ain’t gonna happen.

2 Likes

I hope they are friendly…

1 Like

We will never get such cool space barons…

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Jeff Bezos has upped the ante in the battle of the billionaire bros by handing a seat in the first crewed New Shepard flight to Virgin Galactic customer and member of the Mercury 13, Wally Funk.

Funk will be joining the brothers Bezos and the individual that spanked $28m on a seat in the New Shepard capsule on the 20 July flight.

The Mercury 13 were a group of American women who successfully underwent the same screening tests as their male counterparts, the Mercury 7. Unlike the male astronauts, the 13 never flew in space and it would take until 1983 and Sally Ride’s flight on STS-7 before an American woman reached orbit.

[…]

2 Likes

It’s about time! NASA’s orbital atomic clock a boon for deep space navigation – if they can get it working for long enough

NASA has demonstrated the first trapped-ion space clock in a move that could pave the way for real-time navigation in deep space.

Reported in Nature , the results of more than a year’s experimentation have shown the ion optical clock has outperformed current space clocks by an order of magnitude. NASA engineers believe the level of performance shows the approach could be used to enable near-real-time navigation of deep space probes.

[…]

2 Likes

Yep. We all saw this coming.

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if Elon does an illegal, unscheduled launch to beat both of them.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Space Force Plans To Place New Early Warning Satellites Into Non-Traditional Orbits Closer To Earth

1 Like

A thin atmosphere? You mean like the bar at the local Chili’s?

2 Likes

I’ve never been to Chili’s, but at many bars, hearing and being heard presents a bit of a problem.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Kepler spots four rogue Earth-mass exoplanets floating in space, unbound to any star

2 Likes

Yay for science!!

5 Likes