Spaaaaace

4 Likes

Well it is possible to do something about it.

While the YAL-1 has been scrapped, satellites are one of the few targets suitable for a Megawatt laser. Predictable orbit, susceptible electronics, and you wouldnt cause any extra orbital debris.

6 Likes

Oh Yeah… THAT port

4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

NASA’s huge Space Launch System (SLS) will get its three launch attempts in the coming weeks after officials approved an extension to validation of the Flight Termination System from 20 to 25 days.

Depending on when it launches, the mission could last anywhere from four to six weeks during which the spacecraft will be placed into orbit around the Moon before returning to Earth and a splashdown off the coast of California.

[…]

5 Likes

Não há de que.

But I am afraid it isn’t the first time I’ve posted it here. I enjoyed this comic book. But I gave my copy to my brother a long ago.

4 Likes
5 Likes

The US Air Force is giving $1.9 million to SpaceX to test if Starlink can support military bases in Europe and Africa.

An official, not-the-kind-from-Mar-a-Lago document [PDF] outlining the contract states that SpaceX’s satellite broadband biz was chosen because it was the only company that had a wide enough coverage.

[…]

3 Likes
1 Like

Did You Know You1) Could Name a Planet?

1) “You” being a team composed of students and teachers, astronomy enthusiasts, amateurs astronomers, and exoplanetary scientists.
Still, Planey McPlanetface is in the cards.

3 Likes

Ryugu asteroid: It came from the outer solar system, say scientists

Scientists examining samples from the asteroid Ryugu retrieved by the Japanese Hayabusa-2 probe have concluded that Ryugu is a drifter from the outer solar system.

The results, published in Nature Astronomy, come after just over a year of initial analysis conducted by institutes and universities across Japan, the UK, and USA.

[…]

1 Like

NASA wants a hundredfold upgrade for space computers

NASA has awarded a $50 million contract to Microchip Technology, the microcontroller giant, to develop next-generation processors that will enable space computers to be 100 times faster than they currently are.

[…]

4 Likes

NASA uses occult means to spot tiny moon orbiting asteroid

[…]

The moon was discovered during a campaign to study it while it passed in front of a star, thus blocking out the star’s light, a tactic that was expected to lead to understanding the asteroid’s location, size and shape with deep precision. The blockage, or occultation, revealed the satellite.

[…]

2 Likes

SOFIA observatory’s last hurrah set back by damage from high winds

1 Like

This is cool, sorry if a repost:

7 Likes

Fun fact! The ISS flies through these meteor showers too. Shudder!

Fun Fact! The odds of the ISS being hit by one are practically zero. Whew!

It is left as a problem for the student to calculate the probability of meteroid strike. The distance from the Earth to the Moon is 384,400km

Footnote: these particles are generally smaller than a grain of rice. The ISS cladding protects from these strikes.

8 Likes

Rocket Lab to search for signs of life in the clouds of Venus

Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck is sending a Photon spacecraft carrying a small probe to Venus, marking the culmination of a childhood ambition for the CEO.

The private mission is due to launch next May, with an Electron rocket carrying the Photon spacecraft and probe into Earth orbit. The plan is to carry out a Trans Venus Injection on May 24, 2023, after a number of sequential phasing orbits around Earth and a lunar gravity assist.

[…]

2 Likes