Spaaaaace

That was the subject of an old Ray Bradbury short story that might have been the inspiration for space simulator rides built later on.

Disneyland’s old Rocket to the Moon ride opened in 1955, five years after this story was written.

5 Likes

BBC News - North Korea says spy satellite launch crashed into sea

5 Likes
6 Likes

It’s difficult to wrap one’s head around the belief that the space agency, which spends about $3.1 billion a year on the space station program, would bother creating an elaborate — and uninspired-looking — soundstage.

And if you’re going to fake it with greenscreens and CGI, why underwater? Why not on land in a soundstage?

3 Likes

I think because the resistance to movement in water more accurately mimics the look of movement in low gravity? :man_shrugging:

(I’m only guessing at the motivation, no matter how ridiculous. :man_shrugging: )

4 Likes

I enjoyed the scare quotes in the subheading (that Onebox isn’t showing):
Maniac Conspiracy Theorists Think the Space Station Is Actually Underwater
Their “evidence” is severely flawed.

2 Likes

Ah, it is so easy to film underwater…

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes
7 Likes

The current Jonathan’s Space Report notes that with the May 25th flight’s 6 people, the record for humans in space at the same time is now 20 people. Separately, 17 people in orbit was set on May 30th.

6 Likes

It’s good that Boeing found these issues before they caused a disaster, but this is really late in the game for this kind of thing. The Starliner was originally supposed to start flying in 2017.

4 Likes

6 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

That one already streamed.

There’s also a 2015 imposter account which is currently streaming stuff about Curiosity right now, but has placed crytpocurrency ads in its chat.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Uncle Sam wants DEF CON hackers to pwn this Moonlighter satellite in space

4 Likes