Spaaaaace

2 Likes

I really dig the pressure-fed astronaut (aerospace(?)-engineer); hes like a young bill strausser (cant tell me otherwise). his short take on “starship” IFT-2:

spoiler; no, not really.

edit/ please do him and yourself the favour and go digging trough his channel; this guy deserves more views.

4 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Musica Universalis

3 Likes

FAA stays grounded in reality as SpaceX preps for takeoff

3 Likes

Though this will be SpaceX-led, the FAA must approve both the probe and the final report. It must also sign off on corrective actions before a license to continue can be issued.

there are no more corrective actions that can be made, its over. this flight showed explicitly that the raptor-engine is not reliable, let alone reusable. mainfailure were in both crafts the engine-compartments, they cant be relit whitout blowing up, if they were running a certain time at full. they even blow up in “normal” operation (second stage). my opinion, starship is dead, every following “test” and launch is just to delay the inevitable. its like a hi-tech-cargo-cult for space-exploration.

2 Likes

The comment above describing Space-X as “Soviet” seems to be spot on. The N1/L2 made it farther (edit: not, ugh, :coffee: needed) on the first launch than the Space-X offering did on its first run; I like the comparison because both use the “big array of small engines” design that I hate. Let’s see if the new system (I can’t bring myself to say the name) gets to 4 launches before they give up like the Soviets did… :thinking:

4 Likes

in spacex case its even worse; they getting too hot (methane), they are too small for what they supposed to do, the turbopumps are designed at the absolut limit of what is possible and the array is too tightly packed (heating each other). and the plumbing must be a fucking nightmare.

1 Like

To be fair they haven’t actually killed everyone involved in them yet so it’s unfair to say they are worse than the Soviet system.

Yet.

3 Likes

Are you sure that the N1 did better in its first launch? Your Wikipedia link says that it exploded at about 12 km. The first Starship launch attempt made it to about 39 km. (Then it went out of control and the self-destruct system failed to work and it flailed around and fell to 29 km before finally exploding)

In many ways the Soviet system was far more ambitious because they didn’t have the advantage of modern computer control systems to handle the insane complexity of 30 engines, but I wouldn’t say they were more successful.

At any rate, I wouldn’t bet against SpaceX eventually pulling this off. They’ve already got quite a few new boosters and ships in various stages of construction and have a lot of opportunities to continue running test launches without having to scramble for funding. Basically they have the luxury to keep failing a number of times before getting it right, something that the Soviets and NASA did not have during the height of the Space Race.

I’m definitely ambivalent about my feelings towards SpaceX because Musk is such an asshole (plus they’re ruining the night sky with Starlink satellites and doing other environmental damage) but they do have a decent track record of reliable, affordable launches at this point and whatever successes they have had are definitely in spite of Musk, not because of him.

As for the overall design philosophy, I’m not sure what better designs are out there for rockets of this size. The Saturn V was an awesome machine, but I wouldn’t look to it as a model to follow for the future. There’s no way that it could have ever been made to be reusable. Plus, if we’re being honest with ourselves, the guy in charge of that program was also a friggin Nazi. :frowning:

6 Likes

And of course, Korolev didn’t want to use so many engines in the N1 design. He was forced into a design that he knew to be sub-optimal, because Glushko refused to work with him, and wouldn’t design the large, high-power engines that it would have needed for a Saturn-style engine configuration.

4 Likes

thats the whole point; the “starship”-program is musks fever-dream, not spacexs. its his design. and its bad. very bad.

he had nothing to do with the falcon-development, but everything with starship.

its not gonna work.

jah, I said its even worse.

3 Likes

Ok, time will certainly tell on that one. Maybe you’ll be proven right.

For the record, if I had to take a ride to the moon within the next few years I would definitely feel safer flying on NASA’s SLS. But if I had to make a financial bet on which launch system will be more sustainable long-term, I would go with Starship. It’s certainly not there yet but it at least has the potential to eventually be an affordable, reusable system. And even if they never managed to make it reusable it’s still far less expensive than SLS.

2 Likes

oh no, you wouldnt /s

not in my opinion, no. its a bad design. its to heavy and it needs 14-20 (thats official) refueling-operations in orbit to get even to the moon, let alone mars. its stupid and insane.

all it can be is a super-heavy-lifter for starlink-satellites in LEO. max. and it wont be “reusable”. ever.

3 Likes

(third part is actually enough; and Im pretty sure this guy knows what he is talking about)

2 Likes

If it does just make it to LEO and nothing else there’s other potential uses beyond starlink. I was talking to a JPL guy a couple days ago. Having the capacity of launching space telescopes and whatnot that are 9 meters in diameter is game-changing for some of their designs. A heck of a lot less complex origami would be needed for telescope mirrors, for example.

But like I said, we’ll all find out soon enough if they can make it work or not. Maybe the next launch attempt will destroy the tower and surrounding facilities and the whole experiment will come to an inglorious end.

2 Likes
2 Likes

yeah, we will need these, when the coming mega-constellations like fucking starlink are gonna plaster the nightsky. excuse my cynicism.

and hopefully no ones gonna die. really, really fucking not!

2 Likes