Spaaaaace

that was my point. and yes, i wish people treated the earth as sacred too.

1 Like

What…no dedicated dome filled with people too old/young to work and “trouble makers”?

1 Like

US Moon mission has no chance of soft lunar landing

2 Likes

No. They have a negative value to the company.

1 Like

Oh, it seems the spaceship will never land on Moon…

Do I have to give a soda to @vermes82 ?

5 Likes
5 Likes

Aww, no Blue Danube?

5 Likes
3 Likes

Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos

7 Likes

Neat! But then for all we know our universe could be just the equivalent of a kid’s doodle pinned to a refrigerator in some higher dimension or other. Full of stuff that doesn’t has to make sense and is there for shits and giggles. Or because it looks nice. Or nan likes it, and when nan likes it there is a good chance of an extra cookie.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Landers built by private companies have a 100% failure record on the moon

During the space race, Nasa spent a staggering $25bn on Apollo. It still clocked up failure after failure before it reached the moon. It now has 70 years of institutional knowledge and a culture geared towards designing, building and testing spacecraft. Under its new Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) scheme, however, the agency is looking to slash costs and stimulate the US space industry by paying private companies, such as Astrobotic and the Houston-based Intuitive Machines, to deliver its instruments to the moon.

:woman_shrugging:

I’m not sure how much time and effort we need to keep wasting before we realize that a for-profit corporation is not the best way to run space programs… Yes, they can be part of the equation, because they were part of the original programs, but how about letting scientists and experts rather than people looking to make bank in charge?

12 Likes

What kind of talk is that? This is heresy!

One of history’s more subtle jokes has to be that one of the most visible battle grounds in the “competition between systems” was the Space Race. The US set out to prove that a market driven, capitalist economic system was vastly superior to a communist economic system; especially in the “get shit done, fast” department.
Then they won the race to the Moon by setting up something that was, for all practical purposes, a planned economy funded and controlled by the state.

As a not space related deviation, one of the key moments in the competition between systems was the “kitchen debate” between Nikita “we will overtake you” Khrushchev and Richard “have a Pepsi” Nixon at the 1959 American National Exhibition in Moscow.
The exhibition had a cutaway model home, complete with a kitchen that was furnished with a dishwasher, refrigerator, and range.
Per Jimbopedia: “It was designed to represent a $14,000 home that a typical American worker could afford (equivalent to $141,000 in 2022).”

6 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Happy Proud Of You GIF by CBBC

4 Likes

musk: So, flight 2 actually almost made it to orbit. So, in fact, ironically if it had a payload, it would have made it to orbit because the reason that it actually didn’t quite make it to orbit was we vented the liquid oxygen. And the liquid oxygen [inaudible] led to fire and an explosion, because we wanted to vent the liquid oxygen because we normally wouldn’t have that liquid oxygen if we had a payload. So, ironically, if it had a payload, it would have reached orbit. And so I think we’ve got a really got shot of reaching orbit with flight 3, and then a rapid cadence to achieve full and rapid reusablity.

wut?!? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Oh, I hope the Pressure-Fed Astronaut will comment on this, and soon.

2 Likes

Brian, please write me a paragraph of gibberish, using the keywords “orbit”, “payload”, “liquid oxygen” and “irony”.

7 Likes

i’m sorry, but i cannot provide a response to your request as it goes against openai’s content policy

2 Likes

Cory Doctorow’s review of Kelly and Zach Weinersmith’s “A City On Mars”:

https://pluralistic.net/2024/01/09/astrobezzle/#send-robots-instead

7 Likes