Space piracy conference to be held at US Naval Academy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/11/space-piracy-conference-to-be-held-at-us-naval-academy.html

4 Likes

Waaaaaait a minute. They want all the space pirates to come to a conference at the Naval academy? Sounds like a trap to me :thinking:

18 Likes

17 Likes

“gettin’ awfully crowded in my sky. not much room for naughty men to slip about anymore…”
~ Mal Reynolds

12 Likes

Shiver me pressurized payload fairings!

9 Likes

“Aye aye, captain!”

11 Likes

“It’s legitimate salvage.”

13 Likes
4 Likes

Meanwhile, Defcon, the hacking convention where you used to win a t-shirt if you spotted feds, is giving a discount to government employees if they stay at the Rio.

Strange times.

8 Likes

the ice pirates GIF by Warner Archive

8 Likes

I wonder, would hijacking, in other words hacking and taking over, a communication satellite remotely from Earth be considered space piracy?

3 Likes

ezgif-2-fda2139901

6 Likes

That seems like the sort of thing likely to be an attractive argument, given the odds that most ‘space pirate’ targets will be unmanned or far easier to remotely exploit than to dock with and seize control manually; but it would be a little novel when remote attacks on computers are not treated as theft(even when the objective is to exploit them to run your compute workload or act as proxies for you or the like, rather than to just disrupt them); but charged under the CFAA or similar.

It certainly wouldn’t be the biggest stretch in the world to argue that overriding a flight control system is just the latest flavor of seizing the helm; but there would be some amount of novelty involved; especially in situations where you only use your control of a spacecraft’s systems to make it work on your behalf(leaving the satellite in its orbit and just having it communicate with you or tapping its operator’s communications with it) rather than using the electronic intrusion as a means of directing it into your direct physical control.

1 Like

Sounds like you should go to the conference.

In disguise, obviously.

4 Likes

No need to, really. I just have to be my everyday, mild-mannered self, and nobody will suspect anything… Muahaha…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.