Space stinks

One of many gag gifts my father received for his 40th birthday was a rubber hose with a lighter at one end. The other end was to be inserted in your rectum, the idea being that the methane gas you produce naturally could be used to light your cigar.

Even though it was a joke I still thought it wasn’t a bad idea, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s thought that the methane that cows produce is an untapped power source.

you were a child?

It’s layers, like an onion. Seven-year-old me is still in there, laughing at fart-jokes and scented Victorian butt-plugs.

1 Like

victorians unless imaginary, probably do have an odor. funny, first reading thought you said it’s “lawyers like an onion”.

Lawyeerrrs, liiiike an oniooooon,
bringin tearrrs to my eyes,
bringin’ naught but sadness, laaaawd,
servin’ subpoenas by suuu-uurpriiiisse…

1 Like

Actually, there are people doing things like this (not with farts but methane). My uncle had a project where he tapped the methane in an old landfill and then used that to supply some of the power to a nearby brick plant. He got all kinds of special environmental funds for the project, but unfortunately his partner was a snake and ran away with a lot of the money. So that was the end of that project.

1 Like

That’s an Air Pressure thing. We got trained on that in USAF flight school, and were even WARNED, a week in advance, to lay off the gas-producing foods before we did our week at the Altitude Chamber. . . .

And, especially in case of a rapid decompression. Way back in the 1980s, when I flew B-52s, we lost a cockpit window (luckily, a side window) at 42,000 feet. Even AFTER we descended to 8K, and could get off oxygen, the place smelled REALLY bad. . .

Astronauts have always been the true Stinkfluencers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.