SpaceX has a draconian stock options policy

What better way to create the (unworkable, poorly named) app he’s always wanted than by starting off with a platform that wasn’t designed to do anything like that! Genius!!!

3 Likes

I dunno - I, for one, am extremely impressed by how lucky he’s been. Do you know how much luck you have to have, to be that lucky? So much luck, wow! Sure, he started off lucky with advantage after advantage given by his family background, but he persevered and eventually became extremely lucky again and again!

(Someone really needs to write about Elon Musk and survivor bias…)

Increasingly, the vibe I get from Elon is specifically that he was a whisker away from being an incel, only he was saved from that because people mistook his wealth for an interesting personality.

2 Likes

Given that incel has changed from meaning a person who doesn’t have the social ability to find a partner to a man who even might have one but not on his exceedingly demanding terms…I’m not actually sure that Musk isn’t.

5 Likes

He’s not lucky. He’s white and came from privilege. I really wish people could acknowledge that very simple fact, that far too many of our elites are there for the same reason some people were in the past - because of their background and who they were born to, not because of any inherent talent on their part… it’s not even just “luck”… IT IS HOW OUR SYSTEM IS DESIGNED, TOP TO BOTTOM.

There IS not meritocracy. None. IT DOES NOT EXIST… I don’t see the need to keep dragging out that fiction, when it’s literally destroying our planet…

6 Likes

What I first noticed was smaller stories about how he treated women, but maybe those were insignificant to most commenters here (MindySans very much excluded). Granted, these stories were probably after the pedo guy story.

Who offers a flight attendant a horse if she’ll have sex with him?

3 Likes

Don’t forget he also invented the letter X.

7 Likes

Well exactly! Think how lucky he was to have been born a white male in a rich South African family - why, he was being lucky even before he was born! He was so well placed to take advantage of multiple systems of privilege (e.g. going to private schools surrounded by wealthy peers who he made connections with, that provided him with the positions that subsequently made him the richest man in the world, despite being an… underwhelming businessman). Clearly there’s a lot to emulate here!
(/s)

I keep saying that Elon Musk single-handedly destroys the myth of the meritocracy…

5 Likes

Again, that’s not luck, that’s white supremacy. :woman_shrugging:

I was making a joke about the people who claim Elon Musk has impressive accomplishments, when the reality is that he’s used his multiple forms of privilege to be given positions where he was given absolutely enormous amounts of money for no other reason than because he was a rich white man with connections.

The joke being that Elon Musk, held up by some as an exemplar to be studied and emulated, is very clearly instead an example of how overlapping systems of privilege (white supremacy, patriarchy, classism) allowed him to become the richest man in the world, not because he actually accomplished anything, but through sheer. dumb. luck. And how the people lauding “his accomplishments” are ignoring systems of privilege, survivor bias and the just world fallacy to convince themselves he’s remarkable.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.