Spain blocks British nationals from entering via Gibraltar

Many did and roughly one quarter voted to leave (!), Scotland, Northern Ireland and London mostly voted to remain. Wales and most of the rest of England voted to leave (obviously these are broad brushes).

Shame, because that would be hilarious.

1 Like

One photograph. Just one picture, and it has everything about Blackpool right there.

4 Likes

No drag queens though. Did they leave after Brexit?

4 Likes

Good point. Ok, it’s all the terrible bits, and a fabulous pink carriage. :grin:

ETA: If you look at it like one of those renaissance paintings full of metaphorical objects, the paddywagon could be the drunken fights, vomited-in handbags and next-day regret, and the fabulous pink carriage can stand in for the more, well, fabulous elements.

4 Likes

I think it might be a good idea to show everyone how windy it is in Blackpool too.

Enjoy your holidays in Brexit Blackpool.

6 Likes

Brexit makes it harder for UK citizens to live in Spain, but I don’t think it makes it meaningfully more difficult for them to visit Spain. The UK was never part of the Schengen treaty or the Eurozone, so having to go through immigration and exchange currency is nothing new (though the need to prove you have booked onward travel may in fact be new). Shipping good across the border and obtaining work permits, on the other hand, are much more difficult for Brits now.

8 Likes

Brexit has made business trips to Europe more difficult, but I guess that’s just part of the “sunlit uplands” we’re supposed to be enjoying, right?

1 Like

To the British military, Gibraltar is one big artillery base that can land shells anywhere in the Straits of Gibraltar. The Rock is full of tunnels and artillery pieces that face south. Should the need arise, those guns will be used to control all large surface traffic in and out of the western Mediterranean. The UK won’t give that up easily or gracefully.

9 Likes

Well, if they’re going to keep playing “It’s ours because we took it, and we’re not giving it back because we don’t have to,” then a hard border with the neighbors seems like the mildest of possible consequences …

4 Likes

Oh hell yes.

ETA:
OTOH, I’m struggling to think of a single European border that isn’t based on "It’s ours because we took it, and we’re not giving it back because we don’t have to”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.