Spectacle frames that reflect infrared light, blinding CCTV cameras

Just because London is full of cameras, doesn’t mean anyone is watching them.
In fact the shear number of cameras results in nobody watching them.

2 Likes

It might be surprising, but analog photography is still used by some artists, especially with medium and large format cameras. Resolution of large format ones can still be quite impressive. Film is also readily available.
Earlier photography methods, like gum bichromate photography are also still being used.

I have 2 pairs, they work flawless.

THAT’S why star trek has so many nose putty aliens!

Ah, but even those nose-putty aliens were almost universally symmetrical, and face recognition tech would probably process them just fine. Asymmetry is so deeply hardwired into our minds as a sign of someone ugly, diseased, damaged, or otherwise Wrong that it’s hard to imagine presenting in public as asymmetrical (a la CV Dazzle) could ever catch on. (Which, incidentally, is a real bitch for real-life earthlings whose real-life faces or bodies are not symmetrical!)

1 Like

It’s true that they don’t have an officer closely watching every camera all the time, but storage is cheap and recording the data for later examination is very easy to do.

Plus, as computerized facial recognition becomes more and more widespread you can reduce the data you need to store down so much that you can keep it indefinitely. Even if you’re wearing something that obscures your face that can be detected and tracked.

1 Like

Otherbrother

Secret_Chimp

16h

Good luck though! (By which I mean I hope you don’t get in an accident if you’re in the habit of running red lights on a regular basis)

It’s not always about running red lights. Many city police departments photograph & track license plates for random surveillance purposes.

True enough, but I was specifically referring to @Secret_Chimp’s comment that “It would make for a great protest against red light and speed cameras.” Those cameras only use the flash when someone has run a red light, not for random pervasive surveillance. I believe that pervasive surveillance cameras such as the plate readers installed on some police cruisers don’t use a flash.

While I dislike that many municipalities are installing red light cameras and speed cameras in an effort to increase revenues, as a pedestrian, I’m glad that their existence lessens the number of speeding cars and cars that either blow through red lights or those that creep into the sidewalk. If you have better statistics that I do about the efficacy of red light/speed cameras on being more than just a revenue source for the municipality, I’d love to see them, otherwise I stand by my experience of safer roads.

Yes would have to have nose putty and the asymmetric makeup/ hair

1 Like

It has potential but i believe there hasn’t been enough research done on its effectiveness as yet. I’d like to know the minimum you can get away with and for it to still work, until of course the police ban the use of dazzle makeup at protests.

Indeed. Plus, this research may well be out of date by now; keeping up with the algorithms in order to bamboozle them will always be a problem.

1 Like

Yes. Not to mention there are sophisticated algorithms that in real time alert CCTV officers.

Right angle crashes go down. Rear end crashes go up.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/05049/

1 Like

I’ve never actually run a red light or received an automated ticket. I just don’t like those revenue generation machines and I don’t like remote police surveillance.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.