Spectacular selfie of NASA's Orion spacecraft, the Earth, and the Moon

I left FB a few years ago but I have an Instagram account so it is possible to have one without the other.

I constantly question whether Instagram is worthwhile, but it seems not to be as teeth-grindingly infuriating as FB.

The only drawback is that it’s very easy to stray into TikTok (at least I think it’s TikTok - endless short videos) and that’s entirely worthless with a lot of stupid, questionable content.

1 Like
3 Likes

I can see you and I come from different eras. I was a kid when the “Worm” first replaced the “Meatball” in the 1970s, just in time for the US Bicentennial. It looked new, modern, and it felt like going forward. But when setbacks happened like the Space Shuttle not meeting expectations and running over budget, some pined for the old days, and brought back the Meatball.

I find the Worm more attractive, and hope NASA goes forward again, regaining the momentum it lost under Reagan.

1 Like

Rücksturz zur Erde, Commander MacLaine!

2 Likes

Under Reagan? You men John Kennedy, yes?

re-read that, comrade:

raygun was all about defunding shit to build his “star wars” missile defense, not any space exploration, just the militarization of space.

4 Likes

Yep. Reagan wasted no time undoing everything Carter had done that he could. Dismantled the solar heating that was installed in the White House, restored the white elephant B1 bomber, cut funding for NASA along with, well, anything else that wasn’t for shiny new weapons.

Really, Reagan and Nixon are the two main reasons we are only resuming lunar missions in the 2020s.

6 Likes

Am I mixing up logos and space exploration in various administrations? It’s been that kind of day… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I know what you mean. It’s been that kind of day for me since 1986, with some little pleasures along the way, but still. Ugh.

5 Likes

So far from home. It does give me the creeps, a bit.

1 Like

Crewed exploratory missions were on the downswing even before Reagan; the shuttle program launched during the Nixon administration never had the ambition or the capability of going beyond low orbit. No shuttle orbiter has ever been farther than 386 miles from Earth (which is a little like being a New Yorker who has never gone farther than Toronto).

3 Likes

Looking at what the Space Shuttle was supposed to be originally and what it was forcefully morphed into it is a small miracle that it actually got built at all and flew for so long. Still a lousy safety record, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.