Spectacular selfie of NASA's Orion spacecraft, the Earth, and the Moon

Originally published at: Spectacular selfie of NASA's Orion spacecraft, the Earth, and the Moon | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I miss the old logo.
Nasa Logo GIF by NASA

11 Likes

Fantastic :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I think that this ship was launched by USUN. :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m guessing you are correct. But the pic accompanying the article has the newer NASA logo. I miss the old one from when I was a kid. It’s OK to OK Boomer me. :wink:

6 Likes

Lego probably didn’t steal that…

Damn cool beans selfie, right?

11 Likes

Sorry, I was just joking.

9 Likes

I miss the old Orion.

Every time I see that name in a headline, I momentarily get all excited about the audacity of a spaceship launched on a plume of successive atomic blasts…

I am disappoint.

6 Likes

VSVN? Who on Earth is VSVN… :woman_shrugging:t3::crazy_face:

12 Likes

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

7 Likes

Isn’t that who V’ger was looking for in the Star Trek movie?

7 Likes

Ooh, the real-time tracking website is called, “Artemis Real-time Orbit Website”, or AROW. NASA’s acronym game is on point :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

What logo are you referring to? They’re still using both the “meatball” insignia designed in 1959 (seen next to the American Flag on the conical part of the module) and the “worm” logotype designed in 1975 (seen prominently on the side of the module).

It’s an impressive tribute to their enduring design aesthetic that they’ve more or less stuck with the graphic standards manual they published in 1976 for close to half a century now.

9 Likes

Yeah, I guess, but not the farthest that a human mannequin riding in a vehicle built for humans has traveled.

(Not trying to start anything between NASA and SpaceX fans here though. It’s ok to wish Starman well while also criticizing Musk, right?)

5 Likes

Are we sure the spacesuit Musk sent up in that rocket was unoccupied? Maybe he was just disposing of a troublemaking employee.

9 Likes

well… nobody. it’s in space! :wink:

also, hooray moon, earth, selfie combo. it’s really amazing that humans might actually be heading back to the moon sometime soon

4 Likes

I love that NASA still use Flickr. I dont have to have a Facebook account to view their Instagram.

Imgur

9 Likes

Hell Yeah Damages GIF

2 Likes

You need an account just to view instagram?

1 Like

You can view a few pictures on Instagram but once you hit a certain number you get a screen-blocking popup that prompts you to login to continue

5 Likes