Speeding yacht rams anglers' boat

In an ideal world, yeah, but but experience has taught me you can’t rely on the bigger boat to do that. Realistically, the smaller the boat, the more vigilant you have to be, regardless of whether that’s “right” or not.

I also hope nobody was hurt.

No one was critically hurt, but one of the anglers still gets headaches, blurry vision, and wears a knee brace. :pensive:

Very sad to hear about the injuries, and the yacht pilot should definitely be held liable.

1 Like

Based on what I’ve read about him, if his beliefs hold, he’s being held liable right now…

And the fish survived another day.
also
Bayliner huh? I hope all four bumpers were out.

Gentleman rams anglers’ boat with speeding yacht

5 Likes

Every year when dragon boat season starts, we have a Coast Guard officer come out and give a safety talk to us steerspeople. Every year, questions about “right of way” come up, and every year, the answer is the same - yes, in such-and-such situations, you may have right of way - but never rely on the other boat to respect that.

Being on the water is in itself a dangerous environment, moreso than most people realize. If you take a boat out, especially with other people aboard, please, please, please learn as much as you can about boating safety and be prepared. That is all.

3 Likes

Speaking of boating fun, I may have myself a new boat by next week.

Going to have a look at this one on the weekend:

6 Likes

I am such a yuppie.

Mine fits in the trunk of my Golf.

4 Likes

Dude, I’ve been canoeing and kayaking for 30 years. Running a power boat in the open ocean for 10. Your original comment said there was “some negligence on the part of the anglers as well”, which is patently false and misleading. It is highly doubtful a whistle, or air horn for that matter, would have made a difference in the timeframe involved. But go on tooting your own horn…

2 Likes

Some lady pulling her husband on water skis did that to me long ago. She was having too much fun watching him carve the wake. Ran right over me. I was just sitting there, not underway, looking in the other direction.

I love that “fake news” bullshit. I think we have a winner of the Donald Impersonation Sweepstakes.

3 Likes

The yacht chef was preparing a delicious Tikka Masala at the time.

5 Likes

Of course. But in this instance, the smaller boat “staying aware” only helps them dodge impending death, there was no chance they were going to cause it. The anglers’ boat wasn’t moving. The large yacht was. I see this as akin to a car hitting a pedestrian. The driver is always at fault, they have the responsibility to guide their machine mindfully.

4 Likes

First boat sold before I could get to it, now going to look at this one tomorrow:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.