Spider Board: horripilating data recovery

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/06/spider-board-horripilating-da.html

7 Likes

Clever.

7 Likes

I have absolutely no idea what this is all about.

6 Likes

Medieval

2 Likes

The music instantly put me back in college. Wow, I forgot how many times we listened to Play, and I don’t think I’ve heard anything from it in years. Complete flashback

Also, can anyone explain how the hell this spider board thing works?

3 Likes

It’s mostly about finding a better way to do it than this:

That spider board is purerly electric and desn’t have any logic on it, it’s just used to connect flash memory to external reader. Each arm makes contact with pad on the flash memory chip and is connected to flash memory reader, so even if the SD card or USB interface doesn’t work anymore (when the built in controller is damaged but memory is still fine). It is way easier and safer than soldering wires to the pads (due to thermal stress soldering can damage chip).
You can also recover internal storage of damaged smartphone this way.

7 Likes

I was gonna say ‘Better way to do what than what?’ but the picture’s caption sort of takes care of part of that.

1 Like

This is loads of fun, by the way. Never seen it before and it had me totally fooled for the first 5 or so products.

5 Likes

At first I thought it was acupuncture for circuits, some kind of woo. But I see it can be used for good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.