Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is going to be one long flick

Originally published at: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is going to be one long flick | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Yeesh! That’s fine for me, but I’m less interested in bringing my soon-to-be 6 year old with me. I mean, this is basically No Way Home length, and the was hard to get younger kids through as well.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s insane! So it’s going to be almost as long as… every other MCU movie?

Just so long as they don’t flick too hard.

It’s only tangentially related to the MCU, but it’s not an MCU movie itself.

In thinking about it more, though, this length is really interesting because this is as concise as they thought it could be while still being just part one of the story.

They say brevity is the soul of wit, so this seems like an odd choice for a movie about a character (or variations on a character) whose quick-thinking wit makes up like 60% of his personality.

I’ll reserve final judgement until the movie comes out but most of the animated films that became huge cultural classics like Cinderella or Bambi or The Nightmare Before Christmas had running times of 75 minutes or less.

3 Likes

Still here for it.

9 Likes

They have to animate X-frames per second. I googled 24 Fps. If, as was said elsewhere, a classic animated film is 75 minutes, at 140 minutes, this is 65 more minutes. 65 x 60 x 24 = 93,600 extra frames. I know these are not hand-drawn anymore and computers can tween- or fill in intervening scenes, but with the number of layers, different animation styles and effects they put in the last one, I am sure every frame is a large investment of time and money. This is not sticking one person and a camera in a room and having them talk for hours. Every frame is money. I am astonished they are letting it run so long.

1 Like

I’m keen, this may even get me into a real cinema again.

3 Likes

According to Wikipedia the longest American animated films ever were 136 minutes for Consuming Spirits (a 2012 semi autobiographical film that seems a bit dark) and 132 minutes for 1978’s Lord of the Rings. Even Fantasia was only 126 minutes and it included an actual intermission, so it’s certainly ambitious that they’re making this so long.

Then again, Avengers: Endgame was 182 minutes, and with the overwhelming amount of visual effects it was basically an animated movie, so maybe it’s not really a stretch these days.

1 Like

If it is as good as the first one, I am there for it.

I don’t mind long movies, as long as they are good.

First movie was more or less perfection.

1 Like

Definitely my favorite Spider-Man movie. Maybe my favorite superhero movie of all time.

The writers did know how to keep the plot moving at a brisk pace though:

Miles: So, uh, how did you get here?
Spider-Noir: Well, it’s kind of a long story.
[three-second flashback montage]
Spider-Noir: Maybe not that long.

4 Likes

Yes, I really appreciated the humor, along with the animation style. Especially Spider Noir.

1 Like

Will he have figured out the cube? Only time can tell.

I’m down for a 2:20 movie if it’s as good as the last one. I’m not sure that’s possible, but if it is, it needs to win all the awards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.