Spider Robinson on "Writer's Tears" Irish whiskey

What province are you in? You should be able to find it in BC, Ontario, NB, and NS— though not necessarily at all stores in those provinces.

Edit: Wait. You mentioned Vancouver. Disregard my question, and just check here to find if it’s in a store near you. :slight_smile:

(Also: BC liquor prices are expensive from that site. Wow. And you guys get charged sales tax on top of that, don’t you?)

It seems like you would only want to buy there if there is absolutely no other way to get what you’re after. Old Forester, which is decent, and part of my standard rotation, but not spectacular, is priced at $42.58, while the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, who I often curse for overpricing, flogs it for $17.

Yup! Tax-o-riffic! ( I don’t really mind the taxes, just wish the provincial gov would stop spending it on roads and start spending it on better transit systems )

if your price point is $10, I’d go bourbon or vodka. $10 scotch? you’ll be cryin’ all right.

Can’t say about irish whiskey, but since you brought up scotch: I can’t afford the fancy stuff, but these are the real deal and around $25 per 750ml where I am

you can get the McClellend’s in several varieties, the islay is pretty good, too.

1 Like

2 Likes

No, Austin. But I like a lot of obscure spirits and most e-tailers won’t ship to a state where they don’t have a distributor as it can supposedly net them a hefty fine, or so they seem to believe. Fortunately the selection in town has improved substantially in the past decade, but getting specific things can still be difficult.

Trader Joe’s blended scotch whiskey.

I’ve heard it called “harsh” by a friend, but for someone who spent most of his adult life drinking vodka, having something with flavor is a nice change of pace.

They also occasionally carry their own branded single malts for between $20 and $40, but if I’m going to spend money like that I’ll just buy Laphroaig.

I’m skeptical, but I’m willing to give it a try next time I’m over there.

My skepticism is well-founded, though. when I first started with scotch, I noticed that Cutty Sark was notably cheaper than the Dewars I normally got back then, so I figured that was the smart move since everyone always said Dewars was pretty low-grade anyhow. nope. Cutty tastes like kerosene. Dewars ain’t great, but I like it just fine; but I can get those McClelland’s and Lismore for the same price, so I do.

If you have somebody to visit, or to visit you, in a less insane area, can you buy by proxy and stock up once at a time?

I like me some Green Spot, also from Midleton’s.

I don’t know how many times I’ve forgotten that I can’t buy beer before noon on Sundays. I often go shopping on Sunday morning and roll up to the register with my 6 pack and they go, can’t sell before noon, sorry. So annoying and pointless.

2 Likes

Not all Trader Joes carry hard liquor, and the availability of their TJ branded liquor is unpredictable. The quality of the different single malts also varies (you can find some good connoisseur critiques online.)

1 Like

In point of fact, I borrow my wife’s old Toyota pick-up (or get her to drive me :cupid:) whenever I visit relatives in Colorado, and we bootleg some of the harder-to-find items back into Texas. I have relatives, friends and colleagues all over the country, but just getting out of the state from Central Texas is a full day of driving, so my schedule forces me to fly on most trips. I can and do check bottles when flying, but there are strict limits on how many you can transport that way and I’ve lost a couple of bottles to light-fingered baggage handlers over the years. Most visitors also know that obscure or top-shelf booze is always a welcome gift in our house!

Wine is a bit easier to import, but my wife is more the wine connoisseur so when I’m hunting something down, it’s usually for her.

1 Like

I think you got the wrong end of my post caze. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never heard it used when speaking Irish - fuisce or uisce beatha is what I’d use.

Writer’s Tears became a sort of Viable Paradise writers workshop tradition when the VP class of 2013 sent a bottle to the incoming class of 2014; 2014 this year sent a bottle to the Viable Paradise class of 2015.

Can you get Black Bottle over there? Its about the nicest blended scotch for the price, IMO. I’ve stopped drinking the stuff recently ( I prefer rum), but last time I bought some, it was a pound or so more than a bottle of Bells/Grouse is all.

My local store definitely does not have it, and I’ve not seen it anywhere else; I’m certain I’d remember that name and label. though you never know. I’ll definitely check it out if I see it, I appreciate the rec and I’m definitely curious. better than Grouse at around the same price sounds good, but my usuals are also that price and single malt; so far there’s no blend I’ve found can match them.

1 Like

Why, I’m, like, an hour’s drive from Scotland, so I’ve got an advantage most likely :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.