45,000 barrels of Kentucky bourbon went up in flames

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/04/45000-barrels-of-kentucky-bou.html

4 Likes

Just Jim Beam. Nothing to worry about.

Threadjack; what’s your favorite bourbon? Currently mine’s Rowan’s Creek. Sells for about $32-$35.

9 Likes

There are no words.

1 Like

Jack Daniel’s, is that you?

9 Likes
12 Likes

Oh well. I’m one of the vast majority that’s never tasted Jim Beam and rarely drinks bourbon. The few times I have reminded me of why this stuff’s called firewater. Due to Mitch McConnell, it’s hard for me to have positive thoughts about Kentucky but I am sympathetic to those that have to live there because they have no other choice.

4 Likes

The good news for Jimmy B aficionados is that the barrels that burned were full of relatively young hooch. As such, there shouldn’t be any interruption in the amount of the bourbon available to the public for the foreseeable future–the burnt out warehouse is one of many.

The misuse of “as such” in exactly this manner is a new trend, and boy is it annoying. The pronoun “such” has no antecedent here – there’s no word in the previous sentence that it stands in for – and it doesn’t fit into the sentence it’s in.

Here’s an example of correct usage:

The good news for Jimmy B aficionados is that the barrels that burned were full of relatively young hooch. As such, it will be easier to replace.

Here “such” refers to “hooch” and stands in apposition to “it”, which also means the aforementioned hooch. A reader can dereference the pronoun to understand that the second sentence means “As relatively young hooch, it will be easier to replace”.

But somebody who thinks that “as such” is another way to say “therefore” can read this example without being disabused of their misunderstanding. So the problem persists, the language is degraded, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, yada yada yada. . .

10 Likes

“If we put the fire out, we are going to dump a lot of water on it and that water will be contaminated.”

Well we don’t want water contaminated… with… bourbon?? (Mass rush from the hills to start bottling water down stream.)

4 Likes

13 Likes

“Just under $20?” I wonder how much of that is some form of sin tax. I only buy Jim Beam when it is on sale for under €10, which it is frequently. And that €10 includes normal sales tax as well as sin tax. So the loss to the company will be a lot less than the retail price of the bottles they now cannot fill.

5 Likes

140|nullxnull

Slightly more seriously, it’s unlikely the entire rickhouse was used for just ordinary Jim Beam. As a distillery, Jim Beam makes some very good stuff that folks might not realize is produced by them. Basil Hayden’s for example.

I’ve been enjoying Russell’s Reserve.

There’s a thread already:

6 Likes

12 Likes

Could be worse…

14 Likes

For perspective: that was enough giggle juice to fill 29,812.5 standard size bathtubs, or 3.6 Olympic-size swimming pools.

4 Likes

You are of course right. But a less invasive way of fixing the sentence would be to replace the “as such”:

The good news for Jimmy B aficionados is that the barrels that burned were full of relatively young hooch. Therefore, there shouldn’t be any interruption in the amount of the bourbon available to the public for the foreseeable future–the burnt out warehouse is one of many.

1 Like

The guesstimated value might as well be a random number and does not relate to the cost, or the insurance payout value. Assuming full insurance cover (not a safe assumption, even before any moot points about lightning and Acts of God potential exclusions) the insurer would cover the cost to replace what was lost, or the actual stock value, not the retail revenue the stock may have been valued at.

4 Likes

I actually have fond memories of Kentucky. Unfortunately the likes of McConnell have destroyed the place, there are no jobs there, I wouldn’t exactly be welcome there anymore, and everything good I remember about it is now gone.

5 Likes

Russels Reserve, Single Barrel only though. #1 for me.

Yellowstone is nice too.

It makes no sense, as normal Evan Williams is all bleh, but their 100 proof bottled in bond white label, their cheapest one, is actually not bad.

Pritchards double chocolate, Bookers (overpriced now) are also nice.

Woodford Reserve is heavily marketed, but actually not bad. Basil Haydens is a favorite too.

With the current tarriffs, we have a bourbon glut, but a lot of shitty new bourbon brands around. Can anyone recommend anything special? Had countless special bottlings and orphan barrels that are amazing, but you can’t buy them anymore…

1 Like

The barrels in aging sheds are intentionally porous and the air has enough ethanol vapor to be … touchy. Rules are no smoking anywhere near (duh!) and at least some distilleries insist on static-resistant clothing (no wool or synthetics, etc.) similar to the rules in the electronics industry.

So – I have to ask – what happened to the sprinkler systems? Please don’t tell me that despite having millions of dollars worth of highly flammable contents there weren’t any?

4 Likes

Hmmm…guess who was born in Kentucky? Coincidence? I think not!

5 Likes