45,000 barrels of Kentucky bourbon went up in flames

When I hear that any of the big Scotch distillers lost 45,000 barrels I will feel sadness and loss. Bourbon, not so much. I mean, it’s okay, but not my thing.

But that’s like, just my opinion, man.

4 Likes

The Frankfort Plant Board (water and power and cable utility) has admitted the water in town may smell and taste a bit like bourbon for a week. The town often smells like sour mash.

The losers are the fish in the Kentucky river. Oxygen levels will drop below breathable (gillabile ?) levels, and hundreds of thousands of fish will die.

5 Likes

Indeed. The value of the loss isn’t remotely the retail price of that volume of the finished product.

Jim Beam

And nothing of value was lost.

Edit: And I’m apparently a few hours late and frighteningly unoriginal. Sigh.

2 Likes

If it were destined for plain Jim Beam, then no worries, but I just discovered that Jim Beam also produces Booker’s un-cut bourbon, (> 120 proof), which is worth having in your cabinet.

We try to keep Buffalo Trace around. Sazerac Rye is good, also produced by the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

5 Likes

I think ‘breathable’ probably works here. After all, you wouldn’t say ‘lungable’ would you? :wink:

1 Like

Now if it was Craig…

First they came after Notre Dame, and I said nothing because I am not Catholic. Then, they came after Jim Beam, and I said nothing because I am not a NASCAR fan…

15 Likes

Even if you’re not a fan of Jim Beam, think of the barrels! That’s 45k barrels that could have been subsequently used to age scotch.

4 Likes

Now, there’s the name that comes to my mind when the topic is “overrated whiskies.”

Fire in the mountains, run boys, run!

3 Likes

If they were newer barrels, should be easy to replace from the vast capacity of the Lawrenceburg, IN distillery that produces most of the whiskey/bourbon that we all drink, especially from the newer ‘craft’ distilleries, as well as a vast array of brands.

I’ll drink to that.

ETA:

Bourbon is not known to induce giggling.

1 Like

I’d go out on a limb and say that this was all heavily insured, and the company will be recouping all it’s losses plus a few that likely only exist on paper…

3 Likes

Two of my favorites are Woodford Reserve and Basil Hayden’s.

2 Likes

I am waiting for the cornspiracy theorists to 'splain this.
It’s too much for my simple mind to absorb.

2 Likes

Hands down, Knob Creek.

2 Likes

Evan Williams, the cheap stuff in the plastic bottles. Smooth :ok_hand:

1 Like

How nice of Boing Boing to include the link to this masterpiece directly below this article.

2 Likes

Its not like its an 800 year old cathedral or anything.

1 Like