Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

3 Likes

Brussels spyware bombshell: Surveillance software found on officials’ phones

EU Parliament defense committee was the target of phone hacking, internal email says.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Stars of David spray painted in Paris: the operation was led by the Russian FSB

4 Likes
3 Likes

Underwater cables in Red Sea damaged months after Houthis threatened to do just that

[…]

While it’s not clear what’s exactly going on with subsea internet cables in the Red Sea right now, pinning blame on the Houthis isn’t entirely out of left field - the Yemeni rebels threatened to damage comms infrastructure late in 2023.

Whether the group could accomplish the feat – the undersea ops required are thought to be the exclusive preserve of nations like Russia and China - is less clear.
Rear Admiral John Gower, a former Royal Navy submarine commander, told the BBC earlier this month that it would take a more sophisticated force than the Houthis, someone with submersibles capable of locating the cables to do the deed. Someone like Iran.

“I assess it’s a bluff, unless it’s an attack on a terminal,” Gower said.

“There is nothing I’ve seen in the Iranian [Order of Battle] that could touch these cables, certainly not their submarines,” former Royal Navy Commander Tom Sharpe told the Beeb. While diving would be a possibility, Sharpe said he concurred with Gower that the threat was likely a bluff.

[…]

4 Likes

Follow up and more detail to (I think) a previously posted event:

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Fishermen delivering possible spy balloon to FBI in Alaska

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/politics/fishermen-possible-spy-balloon-fbi-alaska/index.html

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

US Air Force employee charged with disclosing classified information on dating website

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-air-force-employee-charged-with-disclosing-classified-information-dating-2024-03-04/

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

That is so clumsy

3 Likes

I spend my days listening to podcasts about extremist right-wingers, fundamentalists, horror of capitalism etc. if I learned anything it’s that people want to believe. Once you believe in something quality of the people saying what you want to hear is meaningless.

Of course some charisma goes far.

6 Likes

U.S. Army Intelligence Analyst Arrested and Charged with Conspiracy to Obtain and Disclose National Defense Information, Export Control Violations and Bribery

Korbein Schultz, a U.S. Army soldier and intelligence analyst, was arrested today at Fort Campbell following an indictment by a federal grand jury charging him with conspiracy to obtain and disclose national defense information, exporting technical data related to defense articles without a license, conspiracy to export defense articles without a license, and bribery of a public official.

“Mr. Schultz, a member of the U.S. Army, stands accused of conspiring to obtain and provide national defense information to an individual overseas. As part of the conspiracy, the defendant provided sensitive government information to his coconspirator in exchange for thousands of dollars, placing personal profit above the security of the American people,”

(This thread is getting uncomfortably busy as of late.)

5 Likes
3 Likes