Spirit of The West's John Mann dead at 57 years old

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/23/spirit-of-the-wests-john-man.html

7 Likes

Yes, very sad news. I remember when “Political” came out, it was the first song of theirs I’d heard and it really struck me. One of many great SOTW songs.

2 Likes

Sad to hear. I saw him out with someone doing errands last year and he was looking rough. The early onset Alzheimer’s had really taken a toll that day.

That is very, very young, to die of Alzheimer’s, early onset or not. Very sad.

The last couple of weeks, I’ve been thinking of this song of theirs, the title of which is very timely; “And if Venice is sinking”

5 Likes

Home for a rest now. RIP Sir.

2 Likes

Ah, sad news. Saw SOTW open a show in Seattle in the late 80’s. Bought a couple albums the next day. Don’t remember what the other band was.
They’ve been in my mix ever since. Hope somewhere friends are going out on The Crawl to remember him.

3 Likes

Great band – there’s nothing like the packed, bouncy Commodore dance floor during “Home for a Rest”.

Great band, great music, great musician.

The Profiteers completely upended my understanding of Vancouver and the 86 Expo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.