Spoiled brat demands Twitter "fix" an algorithm to make him appear popular

Originally published at: Spoiled brat demands Twitter "fix" an algorithm to make him appear popular | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Okay, painter engineers, I want you to make me look less like I am and more like I want to be seen.”

15 Likes

May his story end like Dorian Grey’s did.

24 Likes

This will go over as well as U2’s “gift” of an album. The whole point of the internet is that you can surf wherever you like. If we wanted to always get the same stuff, from the same people, we’d be listening to talk radio or watching an analog TV with no cable choices.

11 Likes

It really shows how Elon’s “popularity” was a mirage created by the very bot (and inactive) accounts he previously railed against. But hey, his version of “free speech” means making everyone else listen to him whether they want to or not.

We’ll see how the “block Elon” movement on Twitter goes - I suspect people are already pretty much ignoring the “for you” option because breaking it was apparently one of the first things he did when he took over. He’ll have to find a new way to insert his worthless tweets into everyone’s feeds. Twitter also apparently dropped the view count (or at least made it so only the account holder can see it?), so no one else can tell how few people are seeing your tweets, which seems related.

After all this, I suspect his engagement won’t improve at all, but he’ll manage to piss a lot of people off.

11 Likes

I’m thinking a downward spiral of repeated iterations of pushing more aggressively, losing the attention of an irritated audience, pushing more aggressively to regain attention, losing the attention of an irritated audience, and so on.

Eventually Twitter’s remaining resources will be entirely committed to ensuring the widest possible distribution of Tweets from CEO Elon Musk (known informally as ‘Elon’s little red pill’) to the exclusion of all other objectives.

6 Likes

This sounds completely plausible - ending with the banks taking over the smoking remains of Twitter.

3 Likes

Verusca Salt Energy detected

4 Likes

Theory: Elon Musk is actually an un-cute Mr. Frundles.

And he makes cars.

4 Likes

Really, there are still that many people using Twitter? I’ve never seen the point and it’s not important enough that I join now.

Given that this was a 2:30 in the morning emergency fix, wouldn’t we already be at that point?

1 Like

I blocked him when he bought Twitter. Life is short.

2 Likes

Enjoy it while it lasts

4 Likes

Billions of dollars of his own money. For this.

4 Likes

You can’t fight the seether.

4 Likes

Spoutible is booming.

Christ, what an insufferable manbaby.

2 Likes

Well, some of it is Saudi money, but I’m sure he (or whatever network of shell companies he uses) will pay them back eventually. /s

2 Likes

It’s complicated. Normally the banks holding the debt sell it (?), but no one seems interested in buying. If the banks take a bath in this, I’m sure that they’ll find some way to pass the loss on to everyone else.

3 Likes

They will take a bath when the company defaults on its interest payment. That will probably happen at the end of the year, after Musk hands over the Twitter CEO post to whichever sucker can be convinced to be his fall guy/scapegoat when the platform goes belly-up.

2 Likes