Spotify drops disinformation packed episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast

I watched a few of his episodes featuring people I wanted to see, think Roger Penrose was one, forget the others . The YouTube algo put them in my stream for the subjects, I think, so I had a different impression of him than the broader one, but I enjoyed the episodes I saw. After seeing a few episodes I had the impression he was likely to adopt whatever attitude the subject of his interview held. I thought it was a characteristic rather than a strategy. I don’t think critical thinking comes to him naturally I guess is what I’m trying to say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually enjoy his podcast as he has such a varied guestlist with some unusually interesting things to discuss.

This is a double-edged sword as he supplies a platform to people like Bernie but also people like Alex Jones. People who should not have a platform. It seems his meathead guests outnumber the less objectionable ones.

So - what do you do? Cancel the whole thing?

I’d prefer he stick to the people I want to listen to, but I don’t have a vote. I also have other media to spend time with (like re-reading Saga!).

1 Like

The value is that if anybody tells you they listen to any episodes, you can consider that fair warning.

Listen to the Bernie interview. If he moved even a single GOP voter to stop and think, and then vote Democrat in the last election - this has value!
Baby, bathwater…

I enjoy listening to some of the JRE podcasts. My favorites were Bernie, and Josh Homme.

The point of “toshing” is specifically to find something new and unfamiliar. This involves exploring different areas and strange ideas. Nobody cues up a Spotify playlist or picks from an appetizer tray hoping it will be unpleasant, but they may encounter it while in search of expanding or refining their values or taste.

The David Blaine episode was very good. He spoke about his childhood and how his ability to hold his breath allowed him to excel on his youth swim team. He had a lot of interesting stories.

1 Like

I sometimes enjoy clips that show up in youtube’s suggestions when they are actors, comedians, entertainers, or a legit scientist I recognize, people who I know will be entertaining. Then I just ignore whatever Rogan says because he doesn’t really add much and isn’t that great at interviewing. Except when he brings up News Radio, because I love hearing Phil Hartman stories, or when he tries to come off like he’s in the brother/sisterhood of stand up comics, it’s comedy gold because he’s such a bad comedian it’s just absurdly comic that he acts like he’s one of them.

1 Like

Jones has been on at least once since Rogan moved to Spotify. Did they remove that ep as well?

Agreed and well said.

2 Likes

Cancel culture doesn’t exist.

As soon as it becomes clear someone is at least a Nazi sympathizer, I don’t care about their opinions on anything else. There are lots of other people in this world who also have interesting views on those same topics but are not Nazis, thus I shall give my attention them.

This is not “cancel culture”, it’s voting with my attention and having the the tiniest fucking amount of standards. This isn’t hard- keep up. Free speech doesn’t mean everyone is entitled to an audience.

13 Likes

And Paul Stamets.

10 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

6 Likes

Next episode: Jade Cock Rings.

8 Likes

Years ago I used to take to the term skeptic, but in recent times it has been hijacked. It used to mean I don’t accept that something outlandish or surprising is true just because someone says it is, I want to see some evidence. If there is evidence, then I can be convinced. Now it has come to mean I close my ears and eyes to anything that challenges my beliefs. So when someone now says they are a skeptic, it often means they don’t want to believe in climate change, or even that that they believe the earth isn’t round, or something like that. It’s too bad, it was a good word. But now I don’t touch it.

okayjlaw

2 Likes

Right here, right now, the right wing is the threat. Full stop. We don’t live in 1930s spain or in the Soviet union under stalin. We live in 2021 America, where the threat comes from the right. Saying otherwise is really just an attempt to spread disinformation.

10 Likes

carrie-fisher-noooo

Whack-a-mole is fun!

man punch GIF

4 Likes

5 Likes