Spotify lays off 1,500 workers

Originally published at: Spotify lays off 1,500 workers | Boing Boing

3 Likes

What’s that smell? Almost smells like bullshit.

12 Likes

Daniel Ek’s yearly salary is in the $360,000 range , but don’t feel bad for the CEO, Thanks to stock options and earnings bonuses, his net worth has grown to $2.4 billion

source. Though double checking his net worth is currently estimated at $3.2 Billion

8 Likes

Lets see… The economy isn’t shrinking, it’s growing, just not as fast as last year. Sounds like a perfectly valid reason to chop 17% of the workforce. :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Are there any alternatives other than this service that pays Joe Rogan $200M?

7 Likes

I had heard Qobuz had good payouts for artists, but can’t find any current data. VIRRP suggests that Tidal, followed by Apple Music are the best payouts.

5 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Deezer. I dropped Spotify sometime last year because of carrying Joe Rogan (and not giving the option of blocking his podcasts like you can with other artists.) I haven’t regretted it at all, although I do wish I had exported my playlists before deleting the account.

4 Likes

Ever notice CEO’s fire wads of people with the casualness like they’re sprinkling poison on an ant hill ?

Would be neat if the #1 podcast on Spotify is “Fuck Joe & Spotify”.

5 Likes

I’ve never used Spotify, but they’ll let you block artists… But not Rogan?
Wtf?

2 Likes

Callous executive meat grinder aside, what did nearly 9,000 people DO at Spotify?

1 Like

Their user support is (or was) responsive. The developers may not be placed on your issue, but someone would log it, and they would go ahead with implement podcasts and audio books instead of fixing playlist or other music related problems.

2 Likes

Possibly from competitor buyout sprees, in which case layoffs would be normal, but then he could have just said so. “We’ve eaten and digested our rivals, so now it’s time to take a dump.”

Spotify acquired Megaphone, a podcast advertising platform, for $235 million in November 2020. The company also acquired Anchor in 2019 for $154 million, as well as Whooshkaa in December 2021 and Betty Labs in March 2021.

2 Likes

The issue was that you couldn’t block any podcasts. When I looked at their support forums I found that this had been a requested feature for several years. That’s when I decided that if I was going to use a streaming service I was better off elsewhere.

3 Likes

I’ve been pretty happy with Apple Music but that’s not so easy if you’re not in an Apple device household.

I’ve heard good things about Tidal, but personally won’t touch it because it is owned by technodouche Jack Dorsey.

2 Likes

Huh, I somehow missed when Jay-Z divested. That’s a shame.

1 Like

https://nitter.net/AGoldmund/status/1732033791273635950

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.