Sprite ad showing a boy getting the crap beaten out of him hasn't aged well

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/sprite-ad-showing-a-boy-getting-the-crap-beaten-out-of-him-hasnt-aged-well.html

4 Likes

Oh come on. That was funny.

55 Likes

Hasn’t aged well… it’s aged exceptionally.

49 Likes

Huh, hadn’t seen that one. Found it pretty hilarious and curious what other cartoonish ways this sweet, fired up kid will get taken down.

Or maybe I’m allowing myself some stupid, sophomoric irony, this being the last day of the orange menace in office.

7 Likes

yeah…um… that ad was great.
what’s sad to me is that you see it as “a boy getting the crap beaten out of him” rather than “kid is living out his fantasy”.

21 Likes

depends on who’s doing the mustering

2 Likes

I’d actually say that it had a good message; Sprite isn’t going to do anything good for your physique or stamina. Maybe if this was a milk commercial the kid might have had a fighting chance.

23 Likes

I also found it funny. Like pro-wrestling the violence is so cartoonish that it just looks fun. Maybe?

7 Likes

As the grown version of a kid who watched too much pro wrestling (including the animated series), my 8-year-old self would have loved to have that happen (especially since my 8-year-old-self also loved to drink Sprite).

8 Likes

This is the high watermark for this (cough) genre.

https://youtu.be/-ZYDDFnUjeM

3 Likes

What does that say about how society has changed? We certainly are more uptight.

6 Likes

it seems to be a parody of some other ad or ads that were current at the time

13 Likes

I would think even then fans knew things were staged.

3 Likes

Wasn’t this when the “milk, it does a body good” ads were on? So yes, that’s exactly what this ad was.

8 Likes

If they had any sense, they would have made a sequel in which the kid kicks Sting’s ass after trying the all-new Sprite Milk™!

8 Likes

I think it is too over the top to be interpreted as promoting the physical abuse of children or toxic masculinity. The same people who think video games inspire gun violence probably think this commercial inspires child abuse.

3 Likes

Right, the parents say “it looks so real”

4 Likes

That’s so 90s.

3 Likes

Oh, c´mon that was funny!

4 Likes