Squirrels stash 200+ walnuts under SUV hood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/squirrels-stash-200-walnuts-u.html

5 Likes

Alternate title:
“SUV taken to mechanic because it’s acting squirrelly”

21 Likes
9 Likes

Apparently, there is a type of soy-based electrical tape that is like catnip to squirrels. The little guys around my work not only got to the wiring of one co-worker’s Lexus, but then took out another co-worker’s compact Ford AND her two rental cars. (She was responsible for three deductible payments, which was a bummer.)

8 Likes

It’s like the WeWork of squirrel-investing.

22 Likes

Kudos to you.

5 Likes

The squirrel anti defamation league wants to categorically refute the accusation that these nuts were placed by misbehaving squirrels. These squirrels were behaving in a perfectly normal way, completely appropriate for their kind, and to suggest otherwise is racist.

This same agency is looking into its legal options for the theft and vandalism of a full season’s worth of work.

16 Likes

Have you seen the price on walnuts lately? They should thank those squirrels.

Also, obligatory:

7 Likes

Another crime to add to the list. They’re just lucky they have those cute bushy tails.

12 Likes

There’s a walnut tree down the road that’s the basis of the squirrel economy for a kilometer around. They’re constantly running with walnuts along the back fence. One year they chewed into the neighbour’s toolshed and stored a huge number tucked into his tools.

15 Likes

Larder hoard! And I’m surprised to read here that squirrels remember up to 95% of the spots where they bury nuts, bec some years there’s quite the oak tree crop:
https://www.livescience.com/64104-how-do-squirrels-find-buried-nuts.html

7 Likes

Some years ago, on the spring start of my trusty but slow BMW K100RS, it wasn’t firing on all four cylinders. It turned out there was a large walnut wedged between the fuel injector signal wires and the engine, one wire was chewed through in a futile attempt to reach the stash.

7 Likes

grace kelly is said to have increased her carry on luggage weight
by some hundreds of pounds by filling cases with stones …in africa

1 Like

I had rats living in my engine one winter. They’d crawl in at night and I’d sometimes notice them scurry away in the mornings. They caused a lot of damage and are significantly less cute than squirrels. I got rid of the rats by tying mothballs in strategic parts of the engine.

5 Likes

Better than trucknuts, I guess.

7 Likes

My wife stashes nuts in her purse. I really miss them…

3 Likes

Thanks I needed that!

1 Like

no thumbs!

2 Likes

:vampire:“Care for a walnut, my dear?”

1 Like