Squirrel attacks leave Queens residents shaken, bloodied

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/squirrel-attacks-leave-queens-residents-shaken-bloodied.html

6 Likes

What the neighborhood’s residents see…

…versus what’s going through those squirrels’ brains.

4 Likes

i live in queens. big problem with those furry bastards making nests in car engine compartments. they love to chew on wiring harnesses. not covered by insurance, by the way! they can be trapped (by a licensed expert), but only during certain times of the year. and they can’t be euthanized, it has to be a catch and release. NYC – SOFT ON SQUIRRELS!!! SAD!!!

10 Likes

Attack of the deadly Drop Squirrels?

8 Likes

Reading the headline:

“Haha, I mean, how much damage could a squirrel do?”

Clicks link to image of the aftermath:

4 Likes

I’m going to take an educated guess, and wonder if this is due to the same issue some university campuses have with incoming students not taking the “don’t feed the squirrels” rule seriously. Emboldened squirrels can get pretty agressive, and we had a few attacks on students who didn’t realize there was a toll to be paid to cross the commons.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve been watching so much of ‘The Crown’ I immediately thought there was a royal (probably protected) squirrel on royal grounds attacking the Queen’s guests.

2 Likes

After getting laid off in March my car sat idle at the end of my driveway for several months and the chipmunks took the opportunity to store seeds in & around the engine block and to chew on the washer fluid hose, a wiring harness, and the hood insulation.

I solved the problem by making little cages out of some hardware cloth, attaching them with zipties, and dropping in a few mothballs. The efficacy of mothballs as a rodent repellent is debated online, with most of the “It doesn’t work” camp staked out by pest control companies, but from personal experience I can say that the chipmunks have stopped chewing on my car.

3 Likes

Well, with the whales, killer bees and now squirrels, I’m calling it:

Prophetic!

2 Likes

We had one that was a “pet” of the lab where I worked; a window was left open and we had a bag of shelled peanuts to feed her. All fun and games until I didn’t get to the peanut bag quickly enough, and she climbed up my leg, screaming for a treat. I grabbed a handful of peanuts and threw them across the room and she jumped down. That was 40 years ago, and I can still remember the feel of the claws through my jeans. They seem pretty big, when they’re sitting on your hip looking into your face.

6 Likes

Years ago one Labor Day* weekend, my family went camping at Petoskey State Park in Michigan, and the squirrels and chipmunks there were definitely used to being fed.

Fortunately, they were more inquisitive rather than aggressive.

2 Likes

Catch and release - into Trump Tower

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.