Stag beetle throws girlfriend out of tree

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/16/stag-beetle-throws-girlfriend.html

4 Likes

“…guess you can stay if you want”

4 Likes

4 Likes

I hear she’s a mean ol’ Jezebel…

5 Likes

I’ve seen a few clips from this show, and although the clips are great, I keep getting distracted by the sound. The animal noises are really… loud and quite distinct, far beyond what mics would be able to pick up, but also unlikely noises as well. One video had an octopus squelching across a beach, and it wasn’t just loud, but clearly even if you magnified the noise it was making, it wouldn’t be anything like that kind of squelching noise. (Reading about it later, apparently they used some fairly outrageous sound FX in other parts of the show, triggering complaints by viewers.) Which made me realize they’re using foley artists for the sound design for the show. On the one hand, it’s… not great to be falsifying some aspect of a documentary nature show, on the other hand, that’s hilarious. “Ok, today we need some octopus squelching noises, break out the grapefruit…”

3 Likes

Well, if he didn’t lose the wife, he wouldn’t be going stag, now would he?!

6 Likes

I’ve always assumed that most/all nature shows like these use fake sounds.

2 Likes

So Trump’s next judicial nominee is a beetle?

6 Likes

A negging incel stagbeetle, who has read to much Petersen and thinks he’s a lobster?

6 Likes

Domestic violence jokes are almost as funny as rape jokes.

4 Likes

Over enthusiastic social distancing? Self isolating?

1 Like

The video is also laughably staged. Something about engineering nature scenes for a nature documentary is such a turn off imo.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just as well that this guys DNA doesn’t get passed along. Christ what an asshole.

1 Like

“You GO girlfriend!”

What I’m used to - the kind of nature shows I used to watch all the time as a kid - involved audio that was mostly narration, some music and the occasional sound from the animal that could actually be recorded at filming distance. This weird, over-the-top foley is totally alien.

Par for the course with nature shows. I think they’re actually much, much better about that than they used to be (where they’d go so far as to completely engineer situations by introducing captive animals to each other in artificial environs, etc.). The sound FX really amplify the artificiality of it all to surreal heights, though.

1 Like

much better about that than they used to be (where they’d go so far as to completely engineer situations

coughlemmingscough

3 Likes

“So… Fancy a tumble?”

2 Likes

Shared a very long train journey once with a guy who was a Foley artist for bbc wildlife, can confirm.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the classic example. They engineered a completely artificial situation so effectively that it created a culturally widespread misunderstanding that even led to it entering the language as an expression.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.