Deer jumps off of a 50-foot waterfall

Originally published at: Deer jumps off of a 50-foot waterfall | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Points for Deer-devil.

Looks like he kinda stood in the far shallows and wasn’t lurching, so maybe they bounce like Bumbles.

18 Likes

As mentined by Longfellow:

Down the river came the Strong Man,
In his birch canoe came Kwasind,
Floating slowly down the current
Of the sluggish Taquamenaw,
Very languid with the weather,
Very sleepy with the silence

(The Song of Hiawatha - Wikipedia)

and Stevens:

6 Likes
5 Likes

that one guy: “That’s nature. Nature is a BEAST!”

5 Likes

Obligatory:

15 Likes

nothing worse than that deer-pressure.

41 Likes

wow that makes me not ever want to see that movie…lol

2 Likes

Ah, nothing like getting into nature to make AS MUCH NOISE AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Not long ago I went on a hike and encountered a group of forty or so folks, barking dogs and boom boxes in tow. Didn’t see so much as a squirrel that day.

It wasn’t very relaxing.

12 Likes

We have this happen all the time. There’s an Audubon Reserve nearby, and every time we go, we inevitably pass a collection of 10 fools who you can hear from a mile away, throwing rocks and banging sticks against trees like it’s the first time they’ve ever been outside.

“You guys seeing any birds? We’re not seeing anything.”
“Yeah, we saw birds until this troop of noisy primates came through and ruined it for everyone.”

11 Likes

It’s a very pretty area in the UP, one of my favorite spots in Michigan. The golden color of the water is natural, and caused by tannins which are leached from the tamarack trees that line the river. Some brave souls have kayaked over the falls:

4 Likes

What’s all the fuss? This one works up the valley and this is his daily commute short-cut home.

5 Likes

He’s training for the Iron Deer Contest. Or maybe the Deerlympics.

(Thanks to my wife for both of those.)

8 Likes

At the end, the deer is walking in the shallow water at the river’s edge, with most of it’s body up out of the water, so I suspect that counts as it getting to safety. Yes, it did walk back out into slightly deeper water, but it was still walking on the bottom with half it’s torso out in the air as the video ends.

Any idea why the deer went banzai-ing over the falls? Mad Deer Disease? Scared by noisy tourists?

Did you notice how the deer hesitated at the top of the falls? “Got to go! Got to go! Got to… Oh shit!”

4 Likes

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from movies it’s that when you’re being chased by the law, sometimes going over the falls is the best move.

7 Likes

Said in a George Takei voice “OH DEER”!

6 Likes

Dammit Bambi! Stop showing off for your friends! Did Thumper put you up to this?? I always knew that rabbit was a bad influence.

6 Likes

Embeds have always been very slow on this site for some reason. Now they don’t rotate right either