Stanford neuroscientist demonstrates the quickest way to eliminate stress

Originally published at: Stanford neuroscientist demonstrates the quickest way to eliminate stress | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Depends a lot on what you’re inhaling, but yeah.

21 Likes

It’s the “don’t forget to breath,” SCIENCE REMIX!!

6 Likes

If we combine this scientific data with cussing research results, stress relief can be further enhanced by yelling “FUCK!” whilst exhaling.

18 Likes

Ah, ‘primal scream’ therapy.

11 Likes

Hyperventilate till you hallucinate.

Better now?

7 Likes

Oh great, Andrew Huberman’s infecting this website, too. “stanford neuroscientist says if you look upwards it makes your day better.” “stanford neuroscientist says take this omega three fish oil to maximize your productivity.” “stanford neuroscientist says there’s a multiverse.”

stanford neuroscientist has a sponsored podcast.

Edit: 4/7/8 breathing exercises do activate the parasympathetic nervous system (especially if you exhale out into pressure, it seems). I think it’s related to the mammalian diving reflex if I’m not mistaken? Similar to holding your breath and dunking your face/head into cold water.

10 Likes

I tend to go for the double inhale, hold, and then long exhale

10 Likes

All you need to do to de-stress is get your rocks off.

5 Likes

According to this, I would need full time oxygen mask to de-stress.

Breathe Grant Nicholas GIF by Feeder

6 Likes

So called “one two breathing,” where you inhale through the nose (one) and exhale through the mouth doubling the time of the inhale (two) activates the vagus nerve and autonomic nervous system. Do a few breaths that way and you will also relax.

There is also “box breathing” as used by the elite military for calming stress where you inhale for, say, a count of four, hold for a four count, exhale for a four count, and hold for a four count.

Breath is really very powerful as Pranayama masters have known for centuries if not millennia.

14 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

Stanford scientist says placing people in prison-and-guard situation leads to abuse at the hands of guards.

7 Likes

I worry that this is dangerously close to what is politely known in the UK as ‘Neurobollocks’, ie neuroscientists inventing stories that appeal to lay audiences because they purport to explain everyday experiences in terms of brain science, even when the science has not yet been worked out. Does the double inhale increase the efficiency CO2 expulsion? Does slow release increase CO2 expulsion? If so, is the transient reduction in blood CO2 responsible for driving the supposed stress-relieving effects? Or are these effects (if they are more than anecdotal) mediated by signals from the vagus nerve, whose complexities are only beginning to be understood in mice, and not yet in humans?

UK mice have their ganglia comprehension down pat, whereas USA mice are concerned with intercepting app orders over WiFi and making recurring orders happen even though the feature set isn’t exposed in the app. Somehow the Stanford person managed to sidestep those details in going over relaxing. Gotta start those colloqs with social web juice.

9 Likes

Ewwwww!

1 Like

I’d initially read it as “psychological sigh”, which might be more aligned with @Faffenreffer, @anothernewbbaccount and @Bfarnn’s comments. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Came here for this.

2 Likes