Stanford study shows guns promote more crime, not less

Born there, but his parents were English. Skin color isn’t epigenetic.

edited to add: @silkox1 beat me to it!

Yes but suicide is a completely separate issue from gun crime or accidents, requiring completely different solutions. It’s mainly a mental health issue.

2 Likes

Actually, I thought I was agreeing with your earlier position

Maybe I disagree when I think that that suicide should be included with homicide as an indicator of hopelessness.

1 Like

Perhaps the quote is a little obscure:

2 Likes

Spin it how you like, his people controlled the media back then. It’s pretty much the only record of the time we have.

[quote=“clevername, post:38, topic:46470”]
As a Hebrew/Deity hybrid Jesus was certainly not of sub-Saharan African ancestry, unless you believe that God is black.[/quote]
I don’t believe much of anything about Yahweh, as I have no evidence to suggest he exists. But why, exactly, wouldn’t he be black? What’s stopping that from being the case?

Sure, the people who created a religion around him weren’t quite sub-Saharan Africans (although they likely had distant ancestral connections from there), but why should that matter unless the notion is that a deity matches the complexion of the people who believe in it? Which would in effect suggest that people create deities, not the other way around - and that is something no devoutly religious person could ever admit to.

Also, who is to say Jesus wasn’t of sub-Saharan ancestry? Trade between Central and Northeast Africa had been active and thriving for centuries, much of it fostered by various great cultures such as the Egyptians, the Carthagineans, the Numidians. The Romans actively exploited this trade, famously acquiring exotic African animals from sub-Saharan regions, so is it so hard to imagine people from those regions might have migrated at some point in the past?

We know next to nothing about Jesus’ actual ancestry, with the earliest texts making no mention of his parents or lineage. Later books including the gospels of Matthew and Luke attribute his lineage as having descended from the ancient Hebrew king David, but the two texts claim entirely different lines of descent from there, and both are far too conveniently tied to a major Jewish figure to be readily credible.

“Oh yeah, so this carpenter’s son who started a religious reform movement within Judaism? Totally, totally secretly a long lost Jewish prince! Honest!”

Now, the notion of his parents being a carpenter named Joseph and a woman named Mary could itself be entirely invented, but it also might be true to some extent. Jesus certainly arose to prominence in the region from a position of total obscurity, so his being born to a simple carpenter would make sense.

But his father could just as easily have been a farmer. Or a shepherd. Or a petty merchant or vendor. Or a servant. Or any other invisible, unremarkable occupation. And his name may or may not have been Joseph, and he may or may not have been a practicing Jew, or even Hebrew.

What’s stopping “Yosef” from having actually been “Naravas”, and having emmigrated from Numidia? Or having been the sun of a father who had immigrated there, or grandson of a grandfather who had?

We have no real way of knowing. The texts we do have are biased and unreliable, dating from several decades after Jesus’s life, and contain clear evidence of plenty of other fabrications and manipulations. By the time the gospels were written, Jesus was already legendary figure cloaked in rumor and conflicting stories and accounts. Very little within the gospels can be trusted as being historically accurate, because so very little can be corraborated by other sources, even between the gospels themselves.

White is not a race, Mediterraneans just turn pale in the shade.

To suggest that the Persians, Arabs, and everyone else in the region are just tanned Caucasians is completely absurd and reflects extreme ignorance and a distinctly Eurocentric racist mentality.

The various Mediterranean peoples are biologically darker skinned than other peoples, even in the absence of differences in sun exposure.

4 Likes

Roman?

“No officer with false teeth should perform oral sex in zero gravity?!”

And in fact, the root causes of suicide and gun ownership may be similar…

Suicide, or gun ownership?

2 Likes

Suicide. There is nothing crazy about gun ownership.

1 Like

I’m not a believer, I was just relating my (obviously limited, in light of @glitch’s discussion) understanding of the story.

Oh, I remember that now!

1 Like

You keep telling yourself that, buddy. There’s nothing crazy about removing body hair, either - but if you meet a guy with no eyebrows it may be worth trying to understand more about their mental state.

It is? I thought we had little in the way of records of Jesus directly, but a fair amount would have come from Roman records - so hardly his people? Most biblical accounts are like years after he supposedly roamed around the Mid-East.

Or are you making joke about Jews controlling the media? Sometimes these go right over my head. :-/

Also, do YOU know how Jesus feels / when behind his sports car wheel…

I try to do a strafing run, and nobody notices…

Jesus is not just my copilot in the carpool, he’s also my mechanic!

… um… guns guns statistic guns wut?

SRSLY, one study doth not a scientific consensus make.

2 Likes

Agreed. The whole gun question and whether it can be said to CAUSE violence is by no means settled by any stretch of the imagination. We can certainly say that guns are used in acts of violence, in numerous ways, but a variety of people. But the question of whether or not gun ownership causes violence is still very debatable.

1 Like

Edited to add an oft-esposed-by-some view.

2 Likes

Just avoid crashing in the Andes, or you would have to eat him.

1 Like

I used to eat Jesus and drink his blood every Sunday.

5 Likes