Star from 1971 "Willy Wonka" surprised fans when he appeared on Jeopardy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/15/star-from-1971-willy-wonka.html

2 Likes

It suddenly occurs to me that I cannot once recall reading anyone propose a gritty re-imagining wherein adult versions of Teavee, Salt, Beauregard, and Gloop return to the Factory to seek revenge. But I probably just haven’t been looking in the right places.

5 Likes

Not til you’re twelve, son.

7 Likes

Star? Everybody knows Veruca Salt is the star.

3 Likes

Understandable. His television appearance in Wonka didn’t go that well.

4 Likes

They form a private equity investor group to buy out Wonka, leverage the portfolio until the factory is driven into bankruptcy, then sell the trademarks to Hershey for pennies on the dollar.

8 Likes

Mr Mike Teavee was a bit of an attention whore for conventions. I remember being on staff of an early furry convention back in the late 90s and us getting a request to be a guest. Not sure if he really understood or cared that the topic was anthro animals and not old movies.

3 Likes

Wow, so Wonka did figure out how to make him normal-sized again. Good to know.

3 Likes

and the woman who played her is the author of the least-exciting “tell-all” book I’ve ever read. I believe I picked up the e-book because it was free that day.

3 Likes

IOTW, Wizard of Oz?

1 Like

Remember the scene with the lickable wallpaper for nursery walls? “Lick an orange. It tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it! Try some more, the strawberries taste like strawberries! The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!”

I thought that snozzberry was just a silly word that Roald Dahl made-up for the book, but today I learned that in a later book he also used the word snozzberry as a euphemism for penis.

1 Like

Because it was free and you (like me) probably learned about it here:

Based on the video still I thought he was trans, too. But apparently that’s a different contestant.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.