'Star Wars: Ahsoka' is finally here

And currently the NXT Women’s champ. Busy times for the Empress of Tomorrow.

You tell her that. I don’t want my face kicked off of my face.

1 Like

The Jedi council really didn’t have any business being involved. They had no authority in that situation, and had just been asked to provide mediators, which was odd in and of itself. As far as the Sith, they were history, and the Jedi council was pretty egotistical about their ability to see oncoming threats, so it was kind of like people today rushing in and saying Soviet Spies had re-appeared.

Not that the Jedi don’t suck. They suck hard, but that situation works in the narrative framework of their suckage.

P.S. Pulling out the stops and going balls-out nerd pedantic, I don’t think they actually saw the double lightsaber was a double lightsaber until the end.

1 Like

Not buying it.

Mace Windu to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan upon their hard-fought return from Naboo:

“We will use all our resources to unravel this mystery. We will discover the identity of your attacker.”

Mace Windu a short time later, after dedicating zero resources to said problem:

“Go with the queen to Naboo and discover the identity of your attacker.”

I mean, they couldn’t even send ONE EXTRA JEDI? Or even just provide day care for Anakin while the other guys went to battle? I call banthashit.

4 Likes

Oh, sure, they wanted to know who, but right before your quote Mace Windu says…

Qui-Gon Jinn: He was trained in the Jedi arts. My only conclusion.can be that it was a Sith lord.
Ki-Adi-Mundi: Impossible! The Sith have been extinct for a millennium.
Mace Windu: I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing it.
Yoda: Ah, hard to see, the dark side is.
Mace Windu: We will use all our resources to unravel this mystery. We will discover the identity of your attacker…

You gotta see the Jedi in context at that point in galactic history. They were blind, totally, by ego and the presence of Palpatine.

Later, in the other part you cite, Mace Windu does say:

Mace Windu: Now is not the time for this. The Senate is voting for a new Supreme Chancellor and Queen Amadala is returning home, which will put pressure on the Federation and could widen the confrontation.

Ki-Adi-Mundi: and draw out the Queen’s attacker.

Mace Windu: Go with the queen to Naboo and discover the identity of this dark warrior. This is the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the Sith.

I don’t disagree that they were useless. I think a lot of the flack these movies get about not making sense though is a little unfair. They were a bloated, egotistical, self-deluded, force-abusing mess. Sort of like… well, Republicans now. Their decision makes sense in light of what they were, and the fact Palpatine was there clouding their minds to the possibility they weren’t awesome.

What obscures that to viewers is George Lucas refusing to let the series get very tainted with complexity. He desperately wanted good guys to be good guys and bad guys to be bad guys. The real truth of it is being explored more rationally in the animated series, and frankly, both sides were bad guys.

To yank this around to the topical, that’s why Ahsoka left, which gave us this book. It became obvious to her she would not be a good guy if she stayed.

There’s an easier list.

For some reason, Cartoon Network decided to air everything out of order. Actually watching them in order is so much better imho.

1 Like

It was really confusing for me at a couple of points in the series. There is one where Onaconda Farr is alive and well, when he had already been murdered in a previous episode. It isn’t nearly as bad as Firefly’s suicidal chronology in the original airings, but still, it felt haphazard.

It doesn’t skip any new characters it pretty much only skips filler episodes, droid episodes, Jar-jar episodes, etc. All the Hondo episodes are at least an honorable mention, and the list focuses on Cad Bane and the clones and not the main characters. The only interesting parts with the MCs are where Anakin is shown to have a dark side and how he’s too attached for a Jedi, and Asoka is shown to be too good hearted and zealous for the Jedi and she leaves when she realizes it.

There’s a lot of good things about the series, but only about half of it is worth watching and the list lines up pretty well. If you are not a huge Star Wars fan I would use the abridged list to at least learn the new characters, stories about the force, and make the prequel movies make more sense.

Absolutely. The more I’ve steeped myself in Star Wars stuff, the more I’ve appreciated the worlds outside the Jedi/Force. The movies tend to focus on it, since they’re the story of the Skywalkers (so far), but I appreciate any time spent away from the world of hyper-powerful space wizards. This is why I’m so looking forward to Rogue One and the other standalone movies; from the look of things, the only Force user we have is a blind semi-Jedi who uses the Force to aid his martial arts.[quote=“logruszed, post:13, topic:87970”]
Disney killed Mara Jade, and they’ve seemingly nerfed Thrawn
[/quote]

Given the current storyline, I’m very glad they got rid of Mara Jade. She’s a great character, sure – and I love a lot of Zahn’s new characters, like Winter and Ghent as well – but Luke doesn’t need a frenemy/wife in the new films. It doesn’t fit the universe very well.

Thrawn has definitely not been nerfed from what I’ve seen so far. The only thing they’ve taken away are the Ysalamiri, which were pretty silly anyway.

EU or in the new continuity?

If you’re counting the EU, then dozens. Every EU series seemed to introduce at least one new Jedi who somehow survived the purge, or a Sith Lord who had been trained by Palpatine as a backup apprentice to Vader, or a lackey, or something to that effect, because let’s face it: it’s not very interesting to see someone with the Force go up against someone without the Force, and not very satisfying when a Jedi Knight wins against someone who’s not a Jedi or Dark Jedi or Sith.

As for why they weren’t making much of a difference: Darth Vader has been spending the past twenty years hunting them down. Most of them (like Obi-Wan and Yoda) are in hiding, knowing that if they stick out their neck, a red lightsaber will come and chop off their head. Luke was designated as Vader’s problem, so none of the others were ever brought to bear on him (although if Mara Jade had been on Jabba’s barge, Return of the Jedi would have ended very differently).

In the new continuity, though? I haven’t the foggiest. We know that Kanan and Ahsoka survived the purge, and that there were force-sensitive Inquisitors, but I don’t know if we’ve been given any more information than that.

1 Like

Dave Filoni has hinted that we’ll get a lot of insight into that before Rebels is over. He’s stated that he’s plotted out the show’s full arc, and that one of the big questions that will be answered is “if Kanan, Ahsoka, and Ezra are such powerful and important Jedi, why didn’t we hear about them in Episode IV?” I have a feeling that the answer will be hard to watch.

It doesn’t skip any new characters it pretty much only skips filler episodes, droid episodes, Jar-jar episodes, etc.

Am I not seeing the whole image, or does it omit the entirety of season six?

It omits Hondo’s introduction to the series completely (“Dooku Captured”, “The Gungan General”), both episodes, but yes it footnotes many others. For Cad Bane mostly footnotes, it leaves out “Evil Plans”, and “The Hunt for Ziro”, which is important for Quinlan Vos’s first real appearance in canon. It leaves out the first appearance of Asajj Ventress, I won’t belabor the point, but it leaves out a ton of stuff and relegates tons of the rest to footnotes.

I see a different focus on the list than you do, tto, oddly, but to each their own, I won’t belabor the point further. I would just suggest people watch the whole series and make up their own minds.

That’s kind of what I mean. The original trilogy hinges in large part on the Jedi being mostly history. I gather the EU works differently, though I’m only passingly familiar with it. But new canon like Rebels seems to be introducing more and more Jedi into the canon universe. I’m not complaining - I enjoy the new characters and stories - it just feels like a giant ret-con to me.

I get the sense that in Lucas’s head, the Star Wars universe was always this massive sprawling melee of characters, but the story he told (perhaps restrained by virtue of using other directors and budget constraints) was rather more abstemious. Once there was no one or circumstances to tell him to trim things down, we started to see what he really imagined in the first place.

Weirdly, Darth Maul comes in a close second, IMO. And I mean that as a compliment - Clone Wars took a (dead!) generic red-and-black OC bad guy and made him really interesting.

3 Likes

Finished this morning. It’s pretty good. I think I was dragged down by expectations. I don’t know if what I am about to say would be considered a spoiler, I don’t say anything about what actually happens, but just to be on the safe side…

I imagined a lot more travels between her departure from the Jedi and the events in Rebels. This is basically one scenario, just before she begins her new life in the Rebels era. A bunch of things are alluded to, even described in quick flashback asides, I would have really enjoyed seeing them in detail.

For what it is, it’s enjoyable, and worth reading if you are an Ahsoka fan. I just would have just enjoyed more, even if it meant this book was the second or third in a series.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.