Star Wars: Rey is the new Anakin (but better)

But who is the new Kit Fisto? :thinking:

1 Like

I did see a compelling case to be made that even Episode I could have been saved with a few key changes, starting with aging Anakin up to make him a teenager or young adult. Cut out Qui-Gon (especially since it had already been established that Obi-wan’s primary mentor was Yoda), cut out the Gungans, replace the robot armies with an evil clone army, then put the Republic in a position where it needs to begin conscripting more and more citizens into the military to face down a threat the Jedi can’t handle. Bam, watchable prequels.

3 Likes

Probably Phasma

1 Like

It isn’t hard to be better than Anakin. His character is completely annoying and grating until he becomes Vader.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that a good re-edit could fix most the of the prequel’s problems. Especially phantom menace. There has to be unused footage with better takes for most of the screwed up performances and dialog. Trim a few bits. Focus less on political menuevering, ewok grade cutesy, And action sequences meant to emulate theme park rides.

There are multiple fan edits working just from what was released that prove its possible. Never been a fan of the special edition approach. Bit if ever anything called for it. But a lot of that is dependant on alternate footage still existing.

1 Like

i dunno, but i wouldn’t google it at work.

4 Likes

Since no one mentioned it.
The only way to watch the first two prequel movies are “The Phantom Edit” and “Attack of the Phantom”, two rather brilliant “fan” edits by a professional film editor. He re-cut pretty much every scene in those movies to improve the pacing, remove unnecessary exposition, Jar Jar’s antics, unbelievable teenage love schmalz and the occasional grating “Yippiieee!” by young Anakin. His versions massively improve the two movies and let’s them feel more like Star Wars. You can find it when looking for “The Phantom Cut”.

Oh, and for the original three Star Wars movies, which cannot be bought anywhere in their original form without the massive stupid changes George Lucas made over the years, there’s the Despecialized Editions. This is a very sophisticated fan project to reproduce the original versions of the films from diverse different sources, including even some 35mm and 70mm film cell scans for some of the changed matte background paintings.

4 Likes

The Despecialized Editions are great. My only complaint (small) is that the files are really big. Someone needs to do some work compressing and encoding them down to a decent file size.

1 Like

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

I LOVE R2D2!!!

that is all i have to say :smiley:

2 Likes

Compress you say?

If you look around you’ll can find re-encoded versions easily nowadays.

2 Likes

You should get a shirt to show it!

8 Likes

You just know Renn has the Complete Works of Ayn Rand on the shelf by his bed.

6 Likes

“Anakin Shrugged”

6 Likes

thank you sir, that is ALSO full of awesome!

I think we all need as much awesome as we can get nowadays!

thank you for contributing

there goes my $17! :slight_smile: https://www.vermont2ktees.com/view/3074/r2d2-star-wars-robot-funny-star-trek-omg-dr-who-dalek-distressed-aged-

3 Likes

Hey that is significantly cheaper than the shirt I saw at the con this weekend. May have to get when the bank account gets replenished.

2 Likes

He’s really concerned about ethics in Force journalism.

3 Likes

I agree, which is a shame because I thought Daisy Ridley was one of the few actors in the new movies who wasn’t phoning it in. She deserved a better-written role.

2 Likes

He was also quite good in “Shattered Glass” (about the fraudulent journalist Stephen Glass).

1 Like

To be fair, IMO Christensen’s a terrible actor and the role was very poorly written.

I cite the movies Jumper and Awake as exhibits A and B…

1 Like

He was widely acclaimed for his role in Shattered Glass though. Maybe he just needs to stay away from sci-fi.

2 Likes