Star Wars: Rey is the new Anakin (but better)

Perhaps.

All I know is he’s been horrid in everything that I’ve ever seen him in.

1 Like

I think the only movie that I liked him in was Life as a House. Mostly because he played a shithead teenager so I don’t think he had to work at it that hard.

2 Likes

Because the movies are pulp space opera(*), and the analysts make it into a meaningful literary story, which was never the makers original idea.

(*) not that there’s anything wrong with pulp space opera.

1 Like

Agreed, and it was only compounded by the fact that the director was lazy. Some scenes, you feel as if the actors are just warming up and George just decided it was good enough.

2 Likes

Truth, like Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. A good artist can raise questions, but only the audience can supply answers. There is a Marc Kermode quote along the lines of, “You may have made the film, but I had to watch it.”

1 Like

I tend to find animated films have better writing as the dialogue is recorded before the visuals are created; allowing the film makers to focus on characterisation and exposition before getting too bogged down in the visuals.

2 Likes

The first time we watched Jumper it was because much of the first half was shot in Ann Arbor. They played CG games with our geography that resulted in a frustrating watch. Second time was to actually watch the movie, and it just isn’t good.

3 Likes

I don’t think he is a stellar actor, but he is sooo much better in most of his other roles. His lines are delivered so poorly… it’s been assumed he was directed to deliver them that way. Hot tip - which watching Attack of the Clones, just hit the skip button for every Pademe/Anakin scene. The pacing picks up, and so much of the cringe is gone.

This is one reason why I am so hesitant with the new Solo movie - they had to call in acting coaches in the middle of production. Well, at least they ACKNOWLEDGED the problem, but can you imagine how a suave, cool cat like Solo could easily be ruined and sound like a dork with the wrong delivery? And I want it to work sooo bad because I LOVE Donald Glover. He said if he screws up Lando his mom is going to kill him. No one wants that.

1 Like

Understatement.

I saw that one in the theater on a free pass and was still pissed.

No thanks; watching that crap once was more than enough…

2 Likes

It might be that the voice coach was brought in specifically to work on the actor’s accent if he was having trouble with doing a convincing Harrison Ford impression. I’ve got my fingers crossed for this to be okay. Until then, I’ll just fly casual.

1 Like

How To Read a Film: Movies, Media, and Beyond by James Monaco is the go-to.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too… and the fact that Ron Howard is a more than capable director… hopefully he could fix what wasn’t right…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.