Star Wars Stormtrooper arrested outside of elementary school

I was once taken in for “loitering with intent”
a.k.a. remaining without purpose for a purpose.

8 Likes

The guy wasn’t doing anything intimidating or wrong, but the principal couldn’t understand why anyone would “legitimately” walk around in a costume, so he called the police.

What’s funny is that if the guy had been wearing a professional basketball jersey from a team he clearly wasn’t a member of, there would have been no problem. That’s just as much cosplay as a guard from a movie.

7 Likes

Even assuming that the stormtrooper had a functioning weapon – so what if he opened fire?

##He’s a stormtrooper – he couldn’t hit the side of a barn!

8 Likes

I think he’s free to do it, and I think some polite policing could have resolved this a lot better, such as asking him to move his visits with friends away from right in front of the school to avoid disturbing/distracting the kids.

Like I said–I just don’t understand it. And to elaborate, I’ve seen some cool stuff like Juan Carlos, the guy who is famous for dancing with rollerblades on a street corner. I get dressing up in costumes like this for events too. But to me, wearing a stormtrooper costume around town for a few hours is somewhere in the amazingly unimaginative (or cliche or banal) realm for me.

1 Like

The police need to be reminded that you don’t have to shoot or arrest someone just because a call came in.

6 Likes

That’s the point of my apparently overly obtuse joke - if he started shooting at the school everyone would be safe. But if he shot at something 100 yards away from the school, he might hit the school.

5 Likes

First off, I am shocked BB is perpetuating the hurtful myth that Stormtroopers can’t shoot well. Any time they appeared to not be able to hit something they were under orders to not hit their targets, like letting Leia escape the Death Star, so they could track the ship back to the rebel base (which the idiot rebels realized yet STILL went back to the base, vs a Space Goodyear and get the tracking device removed.)

Second, my kit comes in the winter. I am trying to get a “real” metal blaster. I hope the people around here aren’t as fucking stupid.

5 Likes

Sigh…we’ve been over this before. This old and tired cliche needs to die. Stormtroopers are great shots. http://imgur.com/gallery/w5MHii8

4 Likes

I don’t think you got it.

Edited to prevent making too many comments in succession:

I’m seriously considering going to the next film premier with a friend as Jedis with “working” light sabers. I’m 100% certain we’d be the only people who would dress up, which is weirdly part of the appeal. Still, in the back of my mind, I had the thought, “Could I get in trouble for this?” Then this story came out… and it’s kind of sad that I can’t answer that question with a firm no.

1 Like

Ah. Yeah, the angle was way to obtuse for me.

Kwa-ping-zap!

laser-ricohet

1 Like

Unless you live in the town from Footloose, you will not be the only ones in a costume.

3 Likes

I’m toying with an idea of a small flat sealed wearable inertial confinement fusor. Which is about as close as one could get to a functioning arc reactor.

1 Like

Were they under orders to lose the Battle of Endor too? Because from what I remember “an entire legion of the Emperor’s best troops” only managed to take down one Ewok.

6 Likes

OH they killed a shit ton of Ewoks. The Rebel propaganda has it sanitized. Not only does it do a disservice to the Imperial Troops, but it trivializes the sacrifices made by the thousands of burnt Ewoks.

4 Likes

This is ridiculous.

Now, if you see someone dressed as a Jedi lingering outside a school, hide the kids.

4 Likes

You don’t need to see his identification.
This isn’t the Storm Trooper you’re looking for.
He can go about his business.
Move along.

4 Likes

If the person experiencing fear is white and middle class or better, you’ll find it happens a lot. Occasionally with summary execution.

2 Likes

He stuck his tongue out at us, sir!

2 Likes

Stride with purpose…
… Loiter with intent.

1 Like

It makes it exactly what the writers of such ordinances intended. Add 1000’ circles around all the playgrounds and daycares and churches to see where you can’t run a topless bar or pot dispensary. (Or rent an apartment, if you’re a sex offender.)

(I don’t know if such restrictions are in force in this particular town, but they’re extremely common across the country.)

2 Likes