Star Wars: The Clone Wars

I get ya. I often tend to dig in my heels at the “this is a different time” argument when it comes to kids, but we know our own kids better than other people do, and when it comes to sharing the things we love with them, it’s best if we can curate the closest thing to an ideal moment that we can devise. Not often can we exert much of that kind of control over circumstance (e.g., my hand being forced by the spoilerific kids in the preschool playground).

Hey, I work in Burbank, not Hollywood. And I only associate with producers, I’m not a real one.

1 Like

Well, that’ll depend on the approach. The easy way to make a quick buck would be to do just as you describe, essentially as a 21st century remake of the 1984 original, but with women. It’d be easy to cast, would make money (if they don’t let the budget get too out of control), and would be an utter waste of time, effort, and opportunity. The harder thing (and more worthwhile, in my opinion) would be to write new characters with new attitudes and quirks, cast accordingly, and set them about busting ghosts, preferably anywhere else than New York.

I’d see that.

Thats the thing, I think the original trilogy wasn’t as violent as the cartoons. It wasn’t even until the death of the ewok that there was any sort of pause for reflection. Lucas incorporated several of the classic methods of having violence with out showing it graphically. My kiddo has seen the originally trilogy around 6 I think. I want her to rewatch them with me. I told her about the existence of the prequels but she hasn’t seen them.

She is super bright but such a rule follower. I am a huge Boba Fett fan and she is like, “Is Boba Fett a good guy or a bad guy?” Try to explain the nuances of technically upholding the laws, even if the laws are by an evil Empire. Except when doing grey market bounties for the smuggling trade. And then I showed her the teaser 10 min of Rebels, and had to explain that even though Ezra was a thief he wasn’t a bad guy. When I did a D&D adventure with her I had to change her class from Thief to “Sneaker”.

OH well - eventually she will watch it with me. Until then we have My Little Pony and the Muppets.

I’m not an actor - but I play one on television.

1 Like

I have to disagree, if only technically. Earlier in the same movie, there’s a brief moment of mourning for the demise of the Rancor.

2 Likes

Lukes painful cry when ObiWan is killed?

Like when millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Jeez, that’s still such a crappy line of dialogue.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, there wasn’t time for much of a pause until they jumped to lightspeed, but then there’s that solemn “I can’t believe he’s gone” moment inside the Falcon. But I can’t blame Mister44 for singling out the Ewok moment. John Williams goes out of his way to score Nanta’s death scene with more pathos than he’d ever used elsewhere in the trilogy.

Leads to quite a neck-snapping change of tone, too. “I feel something terrible has happened.” [Welp!] “You’d better get on with your exercises.”

Yeah, both good points. But Obi Wan made the heroic sacrifice, and he just disappeared. Like magic. It didn’t have the same impact.

I think I had seen at least parts of the original trilogy several times before I was old enough to finally make enough sense out of what was going on.

I always felt Lucas had a strange sense for his audience. Considering Phantom Menace was largely made for six-year-olds, I never understood why it began with trade embargoes over tariffs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.