Starbucks bans employees from wearing engagement rings

I think their Facebook feed is even better. When in Rome, I guess…

Honestly you’re right. In food bev its pretty standard not to have anything on at or below your wrist. Including sleeves. Ever wonder why every bartender (and cook too) you’ve ever seen rolls their long sleeves up? Cause that shit will get in your drink/food but we still need to protect our arms.

I’m actually more disturbed by the fact that Starbucks has been so lax with common sanitation practices. As well as the integrity of their employees jewelry. Foods and drinks will fuck your shit up, you probably don’t want to be wearing it anyway. And they probably shouldn’t be allowing/wearing those plain wedding bands either.

The online petition mentioned seems to be gone/down at the moment. I wonder if the “Starbucks bans engagement rings” hook came from that petition. I went Googling for it and every story on the subject mentions the petition and almost no other source. Starbucks responds to the accusation, but I’m thinking the pissed employees are the ones making the sensationalist claims.

In hospitals and healthcare settings in particular, rings with stones or protrusions are bad b/c they can cause cuts in gloves.

2 Likes

So what “federal health guideline” is this?

A Starbucks spokesman said the changes are based on federal food safety guidelines and that the new policy isn’t about engagement rings specifically, as plain bands can still be worn.

As long as my daughter can still wear her promise ring, it’s fine with me.

4 Likes

Maybe you should have some Starbucks coffee.

1 Like

So you think he should be angry, sad, AND have an upset stomach? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

“…the company hopes to more than double its food service in the next five years, which is part of the reason behind the rule change.”

Starbucks’ food is so awful right now - biscotti all broken up in plastic packets, sandwiches made elsewhere (and elsewhen?), salads frozen in the cooler - and they’re going to do more? Yikes! Who will buy that crap?

1 Like

11 amazing things that are allowed by Starbucks, even though engagement rings aren’t!

1 Like

Maybe they’re hoping to offer better food–food actually produced on the premises. There’s a spot just a block away from where I work where there’s a Starbucks right next to a Panera. I’m making a completely uninformed guess, but it looks like they get about the same amount of customers. The difference is people are going to Panera’s for the food, and probably spending more. And even if they aren’t I wouldn’t blame Starbucks for wanting to cut into Panera’s lunch crowd.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Now I am sad for you and angry at you. Maybe I should be more careful who I read?

1 Like

Clickbait indeed. I expect better from BB. How about " Starbucks bans engagement rings in favor of safe hygiene."

1 Like

The Purity Ring is OK, though

How about “Starbucks to follow industry standard hygiene” or, better yet, no post at all because that isn’t notible or newsworthy?

I’m not sure why BB falsly fixated on engagement rings when the hygiene rules equally prohibit pretty much every hipster ring ever promoted on BB, from “elegant” skull rings to rings with spinning gears. Won’t someone defend maker culture from the assault by Starbucks’ corporate hegemony!?!

“3D Printed Maker Rings Banned by Starbucks, Preppy Haircuts and Male Caucasian Skin Still OK.”

There, that should work… :-p

1 Like

I need to dig up that old poster that hung in the Army motor pool of a finger that was removed when a ring got caught in machinery. Lovely image of the skinned finger, the ring, and the hand with a couple of bones where the finger used to be. I know, this isn’t about that sort of safety, but it’s the first thing I thought of.

And yeah, it would be nice if BoingBoing had a little more than a bare link. My suggestion for a new title. “Starbucks is okay with whatever you want to wear, just as long as it follows hygiene rules.” Then below it could snark about how tattoos, piercings and whatnot are okay, but most rings should go into your pocket as long as you’re on shift.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.