Starliner launches two Americans into orbit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/05/starliner-launches-two-americans-into-orbit.html

4 Likes

Like we discussed in another thread there are currently three options for getting American astronauts into space:

1. Hitch a ride with a despotic authoritarian government currently waging a brutal war against a U.S. ally
  2. Buy a spaceship from the company run by the fascist manchild who brought us the Cybertruck
  3. Buy a spaceship from the company whose airplanes keep falling apart and whose whistleblowers keep mysteriously dying

Yay for options, I guess… :person_shrugging:

23 Likes

After all the problems with this rocket and Boeing itself, not to mention the whole idea of being strapped to a rocket to space, these are braver folks than I.

9 Likes

Let’s not get too excited yet. They still have to come down on the damned thing.

8 Likes

This isn’t “only the second manned U.S. mission to space since … 2011” or you and I are remembering Budapest very differently

2 Likes

I think this is counting the SpaceX flights as one “mission” over multiple launches in the same sense that the Apollo program was one mission.

2 Likes

But…the public sector can’t do anything right. /s

3 Likes

I think this is the 9th NASA crew launch since the last Shuttle flight, all 8 previous ones have been by SpaceX, with 4 additional commercial launches some of which went to the ISS.

I think it’s great that Boeing finally conducted their launch and I’m hopeful that they are able to complete the mission safely.

I think to call Boeing “behind” on this is to call Florida “warm”

5 Likes

Yay! The Boeing Calamity Capsule is finally in orbit.

2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Grammar school!

Is there a suggestion here that they could save taxpayer money by only springing for one-way tickets?

6 Likes

IF they don’t catch the connecting flight, the space-airlines will cancel their frequent flyer miles, as well as any further booked flights on this itinerary, stranding them forever.

1 Like

I’m amazed I’m the first person here to make a joke about doors falling off…

(On a more serious note, I’m happy for Boeing. They have been needing a win).

2 Likes

Then maybe they should have not gutted their company’s reputation for engineering quality in order to chase quarterly profits?

If they are having issues, it’s of their own making, not because of some problems out of their control. Their actions killed people, and that’s why people are pissed off.

10 Likes

Pssst!

Hint:

If you are not already a billionaire right now, then you never will be.

8 Likes

… it will never love you back :wink:

2 Likes

Do’h!

5 Likes

But more malfunctions just means more opportunities for the company to shine, the way that Boeing tells it:

Outstanding!

Meanwhile, remember when a lot of people were skeptical about them choosing to launch without fixing that helium leak first?

5 Likes

More than expected? How late is it already? Seems like expectations have already been blown.

and gaskets. gaskets have been blown