Stasi radio monitoring department, hard at work, 1980s

[Read the post]

5 Likes

my question is , how did the stasi know what this part of my dream audio recording studio of the mid 1970’s look like ?? ok , my recorders were mostly 4channel simyl-syncs ; and they seem to have left out the mix panels , musician recording booths , smoking and listening lounge , and such , but stilllll !! ~

7 Likes

Anytime I see anything East Germany related, I can’t help to think that at least they got those awesome wallpaper patterns. What do we get for living in our surveillance dystopia?

8 Likes

To be fair, you can probably find that wallpaper in some hipster, 80s, website nostalgic for the old commie days…

2 Likes

Oh man, all that old Soviet tech. The hipster engineer in me drools for this.

4 Likes

Stasi? I think those are shock-jocks.

4 Likes

Someone fiddled with the image. Here’s the original:

9 Likes

No wallpaper, but they appear to have almost everything else.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look very soviet to me. I saw some familiar terminals and a IBM compatible PC.

1 Like

Here’s another photo from the original article:

2 Likes

The PC in the first photo is not Soviet. I believe it’s an East German Robotron EC 1834, introduced in 1988. This means that the photo was taken within a year or two of German reunification, or perhaps staged after reunification by someone with access to old Stasi equipment.

4 Likes

Those headphones look nice actually.

The NSA later surpassed the Stasi’s domestic surveillance capacity, though through much more labor-efficient means

What you call efficiency, I call the destruction of the once-thriving spy sector of our workforce!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.