Bizarre photos from the East German spy archives

[Permalink]

1 Like

Pssst, itā€™s ā€œStasiā€, short for Staatssicherheitsdienst ā€¦

These are fantastic. This is the best thing on the internet this morning. Hilarious, Tin foil and Madonna obsessions.

Isnā€™t that Mark F on the left? Iā€™d know that hair anywhere!

;^)

The guy to the right resembles a young Steve Jobs.

Added to quip!

2 Likes

ā€œDuring the Communist era, East Germany employed 300,000 spies to observe its own citizens; more per capita than any other totalitarian government in recent historyā€

Sad we now need to make the distinction between how many spies totalitarian governments use against their own system versus non-totalitarian onesā€¦

4 Likes

Clone? Arenā€™t there a number of ā€œMissing Yearsā€ in Markā€™s official bio?

Thatā€™s no martial art. Itā€™s the secret handshake.

2 Likes

Hacky sack?

1 Like

Sounds fascinating. Shame itā€™s a cold day in hell before Iā€™ll give Wired page-impressions again.

Youā€™re both wrong. Clearly they are trying to dance like Kid N Play

1 Like

i think theyā€™re boot dancing

Sir, I think you will see that that dance is the same as one performed by the rhyming duo Kid nā€™ Play in their moving picture entitled House Party

1 Like

beat me to it

New employee training at the Ministry of Silly Walks.

I love, love, love the ridiculous Cold War era ā€œdisguises.ā€

Photo evidence Steve Jobs created Mark Frauenfelder by binary fission in a secret German laboratory.

1 Like

I believe this is a version of an old freemason ā€œhandshakeā€/ ā€˜tokenā€™.

I know, I know- but if youā€™re up on the prominence of fraternal organizations in the 20th century it shouldnā€™t come as much of a surprise.

BB guest blogger Mitch Horowitz wrote in depth on the subject, in his awesome book ā€œOccult Americaā€.

The picture comes from a 150 year old periodical, called ā€œDuncanā€™s Masonic Ritual and Monitorā€. Still cited, kindly, by some masons today.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.