Station Eleven author does an interview just to fix her marital status on Wikipedia

From the wiki Talk page for her article, it looks like that is exactly what she tired, if I am following it correctly. (Which as an aside, the talk page is now a fun read, as they hindsight how they should have better handled this)

She sent a “hey, could you remove this, I’m not married anymore, here’s the court documents” and was told no.

So, could one make a blog about “video game history” or “MobyGames history” or even just an Ebook on Amazon, and then use that to cite changes in Wikipedia?

Though that sounds like a lot of work. :confused:

1 Like

The story begins in Toronto (Chicago in the TV series), and most of the book takes place around the Great Lakes region, where the travelling players have their route. One character is from BC, but that isn’t relevant to the story.

3 Likes

Sadly that wouldn’t even work for MobyGames because he had his own very specific and very arbitrary documentation “standard” you had to meet.

This is the problem with crowdsourced data. It’s mostly a positive thing, I think, but it does mean we have a whole lot of schmoes with no journalism training and no ethics or standards orgs governing them who are gatekeeping information. Their process is not transparent and they not accountable to anyone.

8 Likes

You’re right, it’s the fictional Delano Island, which stands in for Vancouver Island

1 Like

Delano Island is Mandel’s stand-in for Denman Island, where she grew up. It’s one of the Gulf Islands between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

By chance, there is a real Delano Island in Ontario, but that’s not the one in the book.

5 Likes

Fair enough. I concede to your superior knowledge of Canadian geography

4 Likes

I shall try to wear my laurels with suitable humility. :trophy:

6 Likes

I remember an interview with Adam Savage from a while back where he was talking about the frustration of trying to get his name corrected on his Wikipedia page—someone had cited a source that got his middle name wrong, and every time he tried to correct it some editor would revert it back even though he tried explaining “but I am Adam Savage, doesn’t that count for anything?” in the talk page. Maybe he was later able to use that interview itself as a citation.

3 Likes

Wikipedia is just good enough to raise the barriers to entry for similar more specialized projects but not good enough to replace them.

2 Likes

Yeah, wiki is a decent overview source, but take specifics with a grain of salt. I know from some band entries there are some really biased and urban legend stuff you can find on there.

I guess one could make a blog post that gets on the Internet Archive so that there is a record SOMEWHERE the corrections. :confused:

I can imagine the infuriation of being there and being told my information is wrong/no proof.

2 Likes

It’s been done. I’ve seen people bootstrap their pages on total fluff of poor references that lasted long enough for them gain real fame. e.g. Stefan Molyneux and Jaron Lanier.

I did my own project, which is kind of an inverted wiki with more references than article. :man_shrugging:

https://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Proud_Boys

4 Likes

Or have her post it somewhere, then have someone cite the post?

Unimportant, but fun:

Delano is a stand-in for Denman Island, which is a where the author grew up. It’s a place people go when Vancouver Island is too busy for them. Vancouver Island has a pretty slow pace, but some folks like it slower, and I love them for it. Denman is close to towns on Vancouver Island, but Denman is only accessible by ferry that leaves hourly. The island has a distinctly rural vibe as a result, and it feels a lot more remote than it looks on a map.

A minor-but-resonated-with-me part of Arthur Leander’s story arc is how he grew up on this rural isolated island and had no idea if he could survive the Big City (Toronto). I grew up in a small semi-frozen northern Canadian town, and had a similar feeling when I left for a university that had student numbers that rivalled the biggest town I’d lived in. In a 20-minute walk I’d see more people than I did in a week back home, which was both encouraging and unsettling.

ETA: Ah, @teknocholer beat me to it.

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LimeSoda Interactive Marketing GmbH

3 Likes

I only ever watched the miniseries, which I don’t recall having anything set in/near Vancouver. Maybe I should read the book…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.