Stench from marijuana farms outrages some California residents

I once rented a workspace in San Francisco across the street from an indoor commercial mushroom farm. These mushrooms were grown in trays of liquified chicken manure. A tanker delivered fresh chicken manure every week and pumped it into the warehouse. Good times, good times. Thanks for the flashback, BB.

3 Likes

Yup. I was bused across town for most of elementary school. Every morning our bus passed within a 1/2 mile of the local rendering plant.

2 Likes

How many Sun Systems do you think they had?

2 Likes

Growing up there was a mushroom farm a mile or so away from my house. Typically the air currents blew the smell in the opposite direction but every so often the winds would flip for am unpleasant trip to school.

Years later I had a commute that went past a paper plant.

Never get used to either of those. I love the smell of cannabis in general but I have never been near a large grow. Still I can’t imagine it being worse than mushroom farms and paper plants… oh and is it broccoli farms that also smell incredibly bad?

1 Like

I can’t imagine a large cannabis crop smelling worse or even equivalent to meat packing plants/slaughterhouses, as someone alluded to up thread.

And I’ve known growers who had some funky smelling produce…

1 Like

Exactly. I have a feeling these folks would find something to complain about local pot farms no matter what.

4 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Hmm. The smell of paper plants change depending on the paper they make. Sometimes the now-decommissioned plant in my hometown smelled like chocolate chip cookies. So weird.

Broccoli farms I’ve never smelled, but the Ann Arbor, MI shit plant smelled like rotten broccoli quite often before they rebuilt the whole thing. (Never noticed much smell from the broccoli I’ve grown in the garden, for what it’s worth.)

1 Like

I’ve read a couple articles on this. For those out in actual rural areas, it is probably something that should just be tolerated. There are many agricultural processes that produce bad smells. Like shit filled creeks (which I kind of oddly like the smell of…)

But there are examples where these businesses are close to residential areas and schools. I think that is a zoning issue. I don’t think anyone here would be defending them if the business making smells was like an automotive painter or from handling of chemicals or maybe some sort of refuse processing (hard to think of examples, because zoning laws and environment regulations already limit those sorts of things.)

I tried to do some searching to verify if that was a thing and didn’t find much. It was years ago, driving in another part of the country on a freeway with my now ex-wife. We were hit with a horrible smell, I don’t recall the exact smell, and she said, oh that’s a ____ field and they smell like this at this time of the growing season. I could swear it was broccoli, but very well could be some other close to the ground type crop. I will ask her next time I talk with her.

1 Like

You are so right. We visit relatives west of Phila and at some times of the year the mushroom industry there is overwhelmingly pungent miles away. Existing farms etc ought to have some leeway. But it seems like a new arrival ought to be subject to some local ordinance limits regarding sound, air pollution, smell, etc.

2 Likes

I asked her last night. It was a broccoli farm after the harvest. They hadn’t tilled the remaining plant matter under the soil so the left overs were rotting and smelled like farts from Godzilla.

5 Likes

One person’s “stench” is another person’s “dank”.

2 Likes

Now, that makes a lot more sense.

3 Likes

I have to say marijuana has made me re-assess how I react to skunk smell. I think our minds can do amazing things in this regard- like instead of letting freeway noise drive me nuts when I’m quietly laying in bed, I just notice how much is sounds like wind and possibly a river through a big forest and I pretend I’m camping. I could let the skunks drive me mad or I can just imagine someone is smoking up, much more pleasant that way.

smksknk

2 Likes

but i do HEYOOOOO

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.