Step-by-step analysis of what police "de-escalation" looks like

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/25/step-by-step-analysis-of-what.html

7 Likes

How is it i’ve yet to see a Canadian thin blue line flag?

Oh, blue isn’t a gang color in Canada?

12 Likes

On it’s own it won’t fix the problems with US cops, but it will give you a solid foundation to build on.

22 Likes

When the suspect yells that he has a gun in his pocket, Constable Lam replies: “I don’t care. Get down.”

I don’t think I’ll live to see this implemented in the good ole USA.

13 Likes

Whenever I hear someone talking about the thin blue line I can’t help thinking about Rowan Atkinson.

12 Likes

Too bad that in the USA white men seem to think black men all have giant dangerous weapons - in their pants pocket.

5 Likes

So what is the excuse we offer for using our guns drawn, sirens blaring, angry cop, barking orders tactics?
Seriously, what is the reason U.S. police are trained to be so very aggressive towards the people from whom their power is derived?
And why doesn’t our press or our “leaders” seem interested in asking that question?

13 Likes

“This is going to be a great training video in the future,” as one former police-department head commented.

Wow. You don’t hear that very often.

9 Likes

Well done officer Lam!

“I’ve got a gun in my pocket!”
“Sheesh, I don’t care, eh? Get down ona ground afore ya get hurt.”

(note to anyone butthurt by my silly outrageous hoser accent: I am married to a Canadian and love the whole country to pieces (eh))

4 Likes

It’s the Patriarchy, Jim.

American exceptionalism, I suppose. If it works against the metric system, it must work against competent policing, too.

3 Likes

There’s de-escalation, and then there’s de-escalation Rambo style!

imagehttps://media3.giphy.com/media/3o6ozBHlv63ZvZWD28/giphy.gif

Wasn’t the driver a woman-hating incel?

So it seems, but AIUI it’s not fully clear yet.

Whaddayamean “training”?

2 Likes

I am curious how long the training period for Toronto police lasts, compared to most US police forces.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.